JHoop
JHoop, Chevy Technician
Experience:  14 Year Engine Builder,16 years as a Tech HvyLine, Suspension, Electrical, Brakes, 6 Year Shop Owner
4700517

78 camaro: chevy 350..there is not an engine oil dipstick, so I..hole

Customer Question

I recently got a chevy 350 put in my 78 camaro. I noticed that there is not an engine oil dipstick, so I went and bought one. I looked on both sides and couldnt find the hole that the dipstick tube slides into. Without there having been one to see exactly how and where its located and limited space with everything in the engine compartment, I sure could use some help.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  JHoop replied 6 years ago.
Hello , my name is XXXXX XXXXX thank you for choosing justanswer.com. Please tell me all the problem as my answers are based on the information you provide.

The dipstick goes into the lower engine block on the passenger side rear of the block and it should bolt to the exhaust manifold.

If you have any more questions or need diagrams or service info, please don't hesisitate to ask If this answer helped you, please click ACCEPT.

Your question is always open and you can get back to me at any time by answering any e-mail related to this question or by simply logging on to your JA account and go to your questions. God Bless

Please leave positive feedback. As you can see I have excellent ratings in all my categories. Also remember I am not at the vehicle, Please don't leave a negative report. Thanks again, JHoop
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Is it by the starter? Do you have some kind of diagram?
Expert:  JHoop replied 6 years ago.
graphic
JHoop, Chevy Technician
Experience: 14 Year Engine Builder,16 years as a Tech HvyLine, Suspension, Electrical, Brakes, 6 Year Shop Owner
Expert:  jazzmaster replied 6 years ago.

hi, the oil dipstick hole will be on the drivers side of the motor,on the bottom of the side of the block near where the oil pan meets ,there will be a slight flat area,if you look between the # XXXXX and # XXXXX spark plug hole .,straight down near the bottom of the block ( on the side) will be the hole,perhaps there is a paper plug covering the hole as most rebuilt motors will have that and will more than likely be the same color as the motor ...guy..

graphic

P.S. some later motors may have had a dipstick in the oil pan ,but it was usually the 305