Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master, L1, 32 years, Diagnostic / Electrical Specialist

2006 Trailblazer: only work..high speed so we..wiper motor..module

My 2006 Trailblazer has wiper problems. The wipers would only work on high speed so we replaced the wiper motor/module. That fixed the wiper problem but the windshiled washer would not shut off. We tried swapping fuses with ones we knew worked and got the same results. Then we replaced the wiper/washer/signal switch on the steering column. The wahsers still won't turn off, even when the vehicle is off and the key removed from the ignition. Any ideas? Thank you.
Hello, My name isXXXXX will do my best to assist you with your question

There is a diagnaostic flow chart i am viewing for this problem. The tests do rewuire a testlight to run down the chart testing various things. Do you happen to have a testlight?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
We have a continuity tester but no test light.
I will send the flow chart for diagnsoing this problem shortly. In the meantime, we can skip a few steps and have you remove the washer relay. I need to know if you remove the washer relay. will they shut off?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I'll need to check that. My son was the one working on it but I can tell you if I can look at the owner's manual which will take me a few minutes. Is that ok?

yes. pls take your time on this
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks - I got the manual while waiting. On page 5-112 it lists 4 relays..37,38,39 &40. These are what my son swithched around. They're light grey. The washer does not work if the relay is removed so we've had it out for now. I'm assuming that 37 is the windshield washer and not the headlamp washer that is stated in the manual.
odd as i have it showing as relay #42 in the wiring diagram. Do you have headlight washers
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No I don't. If 42, 43, and 44 are light grey, thos would have been the ones my son tried switching. Sorry for the mix-up.
I have to see if I have a layout of the fuse box. Back shortly
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I do not know color of relays but 42 is the one shown we have to see if it exists and what happens when removed

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
This may take a while. I don't want to hold you up. Is there a way to continue this once I've had a chance to pull #42? Thanks.
not holding me up. I will be on / off all morning here for at least a couple hours then back in mid then late afternoon etc. we have to do this first. LMk whan you can
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks - I'll check in soon (I hope!)
lmk thanks
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'm back. I exchanged both the fuse #9 and relay #42 with the horn fuse & relay, separtely and together. That did not solve the problem.
Sorry, one first step on the flow chart is to remove the relay and do they shut off when doing so or continue to run. Pull out 42, do they stop?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes. also when I pull out the fuse. When I used the horn relay in place of #42, ,the washers turned on. Same process with the fuse.
Did this all of sudden happen after wiper/module change
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes it did
Ok, below is what we are up agianst. there are steps to follow with testlight so without one is a guess on my end. the chart goes off first checking for shorts in the wiring. Then goes off to testing relay whcih we did. We can rule out relay and this leaves either short to power like a wire pinched or bad switch or bad control module. Unless you see a wire piched etc..and it was simple plug/unplug and you have changed switch to no avail, by process of elimination i have to lean to bad moeul/defective module. See steps 10,11,12 as the remining possibles

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is there much of a chance that the wiper/module assembly we bought was bad? Other than that, I guess I'll get a test light at NAPA and start tracing.
Exactly what I wrote, yes,, I tend to lean to bad assy ,wiper/module if it was simple plug/unplug and no possible wires pinched. Its a simple circuit controlled by the module and relay. You have ruled out relay and switch, if wires are looking ok? then i have to go with bad module as shorted soemhow inside. is also since this did not happen till changed
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I'll go with that. Thanks so much for your help Tracer.
You have not and will not lose me as the post will still remain open. If you should have any followups, pls lmk so we can work through the problem. LMk and thanks