GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.

Four wheel drive..push..no indicator light on switch at all

four wheel drive not working at all 2000 silv 1500. replaced the push and pray switch, no change. no indicator light on switch at all. not sure if connected but 2 days earlier batt was dead for no good reason, jumped it and had the batt tested but showed no problem.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 3 years ago.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Hello, I'm Cam. Please include all the details about your issue so I can accurately advise you. I cannot see your vehicle so please be detailed.

GM Tech (Cam) :

What happens when you do try to shift?

What Happens Now?

Your chat has ended, but you can still work with your Expert to get an answer to your question if you have not yet received one.

Come back to this page at any time to see additional information from your Expert.  You will also receive an email when your question is updated.  If you want to send a message to your Expert, use the box below.

If you have already received a satisfactory answer to your question, click the Accept button above.  Experts are credited for each accepted answer they provide.
What happens when you do try to shift?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
nothing, there are no lights indicating 2hi 4 hi or anything. no noise or clunks like something is trying engag. at first "service 4WD" came on in the message window but that went away and never came back. tried reading dtc's but nothing comes up on my reader didn't take it a shop to try tech 2 reader.
Ok does it return if you pull the trec or atc fuse for 30 seconds?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
tried pulling the fuse in the cab, it was the only one i could find. i even tried disconecting the batt for 15 min and nothing.
Ok, has the push button switch been checked? The solder joints for the connector on the circuit board in the switch are common on these. If you have a soldering iron,, you can pop the switch out and resolder the back side of the pins , each to the circuit board and try that instead of replacing the switch.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
first thing i did was replaced the switch(tccm) but the only fuse i could find was marked 4WD is there another to try?
Ok, did you check the grounds on the frame under the drivers door?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ground looks good
OK, did you just inspect it or did you take them off and clean them to bare metal?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
took it off hit it with brush and wd. also put a meter on it and got voltage. the background lights come on but the indicator dots do nothing
OK, I am begining to suspect the module. Are the connectors to it covered in corrosion?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
it looks clean, but that was my next guess as well, is there a way to test the unit to be sure and not just replace it.
All you can do si verify power in, grounds, connections and if that is ok, then replace it.
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience: GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok thank you