Neal, Chevy Mechanic
Experience:  Shop Owner and Mechanic on multiple makes.

ion: my car running hot? i had a leak..radiator..engine coolant

Customer Question

Why is my car running hot? i had a leak ion the radiator but hen i got that fixed. Then the engine coolant hot light still came on with the idle engine light. What should i do.? it even runs hot when the temp is at the lowest.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Neal replied 5 years ago.
Welcome to JustAnswer, my name is Neal and I'm here to help get your problem resolved. Please feel free to ask follow up questions, it is part of the process, thanks.

Are you saying the light comes on even when the temp gauge is low like when you first start it?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
when i first start it, it takes about 5 min then the car will start to run hot and the light comes on. i can see the smoke coming from the engine, then then guage goes down but it still runs hot.
Expert:  Neal replied 5 years ago.
Assuming it is full of coolant, it sounds like you may have a blown head gasket from the previous leak if it got hot. There is a test most shops can do to quickly test for a blown head gasket.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
so its not the fan, cause the fan looks kind of bad as well.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
and how do i get a blown head gasket, did that come from the hole in the radiator when i had it, cause now the coolant looks like its coming out the belt.
Expert:  Neal replied 5 years ago.
A blown head gasket can be caused by overheating. You did not mention the new leak before, If there is coolant leaking near the belt that is usually the water pump. You might be lucky and just need a new water pump. You will not know about the head gasket until this new leak is fixed.