Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Chevrolet Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification

Chevrolet K1500 4x4 92 chevy truck 1500 change temp sensor

92 chevy truck 1500 change temp sensor and the guage worked 3 weeks later the temp guage doesn't work again
Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you with your Chevy problem.

Disconnect the temperature sensor wire (green wire) at the sensor and turn the key on. The gauge should go all the way one direction, then ground this wire and the gauge should go all the way the other direction. If it does then the gauge and wiring are okay an d you have a bad sensor or a bad connection at the sensor.

If the gauge does not react when testing as above then the gauge or wiring is bad. Check the wiring carefully and if it is okay then the gauge will need to be replaced.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Ok the sensor is a 2 wire and when u start the truck temp guage goes all the way to the right and after it's running the sensor goes all the way to the left and doesn't read anything. I change the sensor 3 weeks ago and work fine. you still think the new sensor i got is bad again? Ken

There are two different temperature sensors. The two wire sensor on top of the intake manifold is for the computer. The single wire sensor in the drivers side cylinder head is for the gauge. See picture below.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I thought you were going to say that. I unplug that and nothing changes. Around the same time the speedo works but the odometer and the and trip quit working can this be injuction with the temp guage? i was just think about it. It's been snowing all day so far 8 inchs and i don't like when the guages doesn't work when plowing with the truck. Ken
If the other gauges do not work at the same time, then the problem will be in the gauge cluster. You can remove the cluster and check the electrical connection first before replacing the gauge cluster.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Sorry i had to go out of town. Today i tried to get that 1 wire coolant sensor off the side of the driveside head and no one lists the part napa, auto valve, auto zone the keep telling me it's a tx3 but the plug is different. Do you have a dealer part number or any suggestions.
The GM part number for the coolant temperature sensor should be 25037332. This sensor is available on for $19.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

thanks 4 the part number and i will get it tomorrow will it just plug into the stock pigtail or is this going to be a updated verison do u know. gm giant king with shipping was 28 and dealer has one in stock for 30.86 and they even tried selling me the intake one until i told them the number u gave me. Makes me a little worried. i will let u know what happens tomorrow for your knowlegde. Ken

This part number should plug in directly. Let me know if you need any additional info.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thank you for everything the temp guages and thanks for the part number for the dealer

next project is the odometer doesn't work but speedo does