Hal
Hal, Chevy Master Tech
Experience:  ASE and Chevy Master , 31yr Dealership exp,
39646262

Grinding noise on 2005 Chevy Silverado 4x4 128,000 miles.

Hi my name is XXXXX XXXXX Your complete satisfaction is my goal. Please provide as much information about your concern as you can

Do you have rear drums brakes , or rear disc brakes? could have either ones in those years.

When you installed the front brakes, did you make sure the backing plates are not touching the rotors, or the brake pad clips are not touching the rotor?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

Drums on back!! Yes I checked the backing plates and pad clips.

Have you had the rear drums off to inspect? Inspect for rust build up on the edge of the Drum to backing plate??

Can you duplicate the grinding noise if you have all four wheels up in the air on a lift or jack stands? You may need to do this to isolate which wheel is causing the noise.

Use a stethoscope to listen to the front diff housing , or put a long piece of vacuum hose on the front diff vent to listen while you drive. The side bearings fail on these models allot. The front driveshaft always turns even if it is not in four wheel drive. This can spin the front diff at a slower speed and make a grinding noise audible at slower speeds even in 2 wd.

Pull the drain plug out of the front diff to inspect for metal shavings.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Have not took the rear drums off. I don't have a lift. So gonna take it to my buddy's shop today to let him put it on his lift and see what he can see or hear.
Ok just let me know , Thanks.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
it was the shoes and drums on the back that were bad!!
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

10-4 thanks Hal

Your welcome