Michael Moore
Michael Moore, GM MASTER/WORLD CLASS. ASE MASTER
Experience:  ASE Master/GM WORLD CLASS/GM Master/GM ASEP/Dodge Gold/Mazda cert.

Chevy: position sensor..the EGR valve replaced..voltage..malfunction

What is the purpose of the EGR position sensor? I recently had the EGR valve replaced on my Chevy Equinox and now I am getting a code which says the sensor voltage is too low. Is it typical for the sensor to malfunction after the value has been replaced? What are the implications for driving the vehicle is the EGR valve is new, but the sensor is malfunctioning?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Michael Moore replied 3 years ago.

The EGR sensor is part of the EGR valve. The sensor is used to tell the engine computer what the EGR is doing. GM has had a issue with the EGRs on this car. They have a update part and software for the engine computer. This should take care of the issue. Here is some of the information:

#06-06-04-008B: LNJ Service Engine Soon (SES) Light On, Multiple Powertrain Control Module (PCM) Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) P1404 and/or P0404 (Install EGR Valve/Gasket/Pipe/Wiring Harness Connector,Reprogram PCM) - (Mar 19, 2007)

Subject:LNJ Service Engine Soon (SES) Light Illuminated, Multiple Powertrain Control Module (PCM) Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) P1404 and/or P0404 (Install EGR Valve, EGR Valve Gasket, EGR Pipe, EGR Valve Wiring Harness Connector and Reprogram PCM)

Models:2005-2006 Chevrolet Equinox
2006 Pontiac Torrent
with 3.4L V6 Engine (VIN F -- RPO LNJ)
Built Prior to January 25, 2006

Some customers may comment on a Service Engine Soon (SES) light illuminated on the instrument cluster. Some vehicles may have previously been serviced for this same condition. Technicians may also find a DTC P1404 and/or DTC P0404, which may have led to previous exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) valve and PCM replacements.

Correction

Important: The following EGR valve service parts kit, P/N 89018176, contains all the required individual parts needed to perform an EGR system change-over for the vehicles listed in this bulletin only. Please be advised that some early produced kits may contain an instruction sheet that has an error in the wiring portion of the procedure. Therefore, it is advised that the instructions included in the kit be discarded and that only the instructions contained in the bulletin be used.

P/N 12581876 -- EGR Valve
P/N 12593632 -- EGR Gasket
P/N 12602507 -- Pipe Assembly, EGR Valve
P/N 15306175 -- Wiring Harness Connector, EGR Valve (includes terminals and wire leads)

Important: This EGR valve kit is used to convert a Delphi EGR valve equipped LNJ engine used in the Chevrolet Equinox and Pontiac Torrent to a Siemens valve. This kit contains all necessary parts for conversion. The Powertrain Control Module (PCM) calibration must be updated for the Siemens EGR valve to work correctly. Failure to install an updated calibration when using this conversion kit may cause PCM diagnostic codes to set, resulting in a "Service Engine Soon" indicator lamp to illuminate.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok, so if the error code indicates there is a problem with the sensor then the sensor should have already been replaced since it is part of the EGR valve? The error code is p0405 if that helps.

What code was setting to make you replace the EGR valve?

You need to make sure you have 5 volts on the gray wire going to the valve. This is the voltage supply for the sensor.

If you had the same code, make sure it was cleared after the repair, also inspect the connector at the valve to make sure you do not have a broken wire at the connector.

Experience: ASE Master/GM WORLD CLASS/GM Master/GM ASEP/Dodge Gold/Mazda cert.