Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

Suddenly I cant get my 2008 impala out of park??????

Suddenly I can't get my 2008 impala out of park??????

check to see if your brake lights work when you press on the brakes and let me know
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes they do.

Ok, that means that the first part of the shift interlock system - the brake light switch - is working.

Unfortunately, that means that the problem is in the shift interlock solenoid.

do you have a column or floor shifter?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
A floor shifter.

Ok, there is a TSB(technical service bulletin) on a problem with the wiring harness for the interlock solenoid being incorrectly routed that causes this condition, and to correct it the harness needs to be rerouted and if shorted, repaired.The TSB is at the bottom of this post.

In the meantime, you or a friend that is mechanically inclined and with tools, can remove the center floor console and disconnect the interlock solenoid(shown below -#1 in diagram of floor shifter after console is removed to see it) in order to get it to shift right now. Once disconnected, place in neutral and then you can shift ot drive or reverse.

Object

TSB:

#08-07-30-007B: EI08045 - Key Cannot Be Removed from Ignition with Gear Selector in Park, Shifter Cannot Be Moved from Park Position (Repair/Reroute Brake Transmission Shift Interlock (BTSI) Solenoid Harness) - (Jun 8, 2009)

View Full Image
Subject:EI08045 - Key Cannot Be Removed from Ignition with Gear Selector in Park, Shifter Cannot Be Moved from Park Position (Repair/Reroute Brake Transmission Shift Interlock (BTSI) Solenoid Harness)
Models:2007-2009 Chevrolet Impala

This bulletin is being revised to end the need for information from the field and provide repair information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 08-07-30-007A (Section 07 - Transmission/Transaxle).

Condition

Some customers may comment on either of the following conditions:

The key cannot be removed from the ignition.

The transmission gear selector (shifter) cannot be moved out of the PARK position.

Cause

This condition may be caused by an incorrectly routed brake transmission shift interlock (BTSI) solenoid harness which can make it difficult to install. In some instances, the wiring looms are tangled, causing stress on the wires in the connector at the BTSI. If the BTSI harness is routed incorrectly, it may also result in a wire pinching issue.

Correction

Important: DO NOT use force to move the gear selector (shifter). Using force may cause damage to the BTSI.

Inspection/Routing and Repair of the BTSI Wiring Harness/Connector

1. Check for wire damage at the BTSI connector terminal ends. Refer to SI for repair procedures.
  2. For very intermittent issues, check the BTSI wire harness individual circuits for broken or crimped wires. Refer to SI for repair procedures.

BTSI Wiring Harness Incorrectly Routed

Object
    View Full Image

Object
    View Full Image

3. Inspect the routing of the wiring harness leading to the BTSI connector. The illustrations above show the BTSI harness routed incorrectly.

BTSI Wiring Harness Routed Correctly

Object
    View Full Image

4. Reroute the wiring to create available slack and avoid future occurrences.

Warranty Information

For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:

Labor Operation

Description

Labor Time

N9616*

Wiring and/or Connector Repair - Brake Transmission Shift Interlock (BTSI)

0.5 hr

*This is a unique labor operation for bulletin use only. It will not be published in the Labor Time Guide

GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle, or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether your vehicle may benefit

here are directions to remove the center console to access. Oh, and try depressing the plunger on the solenoid and see if it will shift that way as it should:

Object
View Full Image

Callout

Component Name

1

Console Shift Lever Bezel Assembly

Tip

1. Block the drive wheels.
  2. Move shift lever to the neutral position.
  3. Use a flat-bladed plastic trim tool to aid in the removal of the shift bezel.
  4. For console removal and shift lock actuator access, use ONLY a plastic trim tool to lift the trim bezel from the console. Do not use any tool between the trim bezel and the shifter.
  5. Apply the park brake and shift lever rearward. The sound deadener must be reinstalled if the wire harness is removed or replaced.
Front Floor Console Replacement (Impala)
Object
View Full Image

Callout

Component Name

Notice: To prevent component damage, DO NOT use metal tools to remove the trim.

Preliminary Procedure

1. Remove the front floor console bin liner.
  2. Remove the console shift lever bezel.
  3. Tip
    Use ONLY a plastic trim tool to lift the shift lever bezel from the console. Do not use any tool between the trim bezel and the shifter.
    Apply the park brake and shift lever rearward. The sound deadener must be reinstalled if the wire harness is removed or replaced.

1

Front Floor Console Bolts (Qty: 6)

Tighten
7 N·m (62 lb in)

2

Front Floor Console Assembly

Tip
Disconnect the electrical connector.

Please note that if you have a subscription service that you still need to click the accept button to pay for service rendered but you are NOT charged again and also that poor accept rates will mean that experts will no longer answer future questions you have as they know that they will not be paid for their time or services, including factory directions and diagrams provided at their personal expense. thank you
If you have any questions on this, feel free to ask for clarification or more help, otherwise you do need to click the accept button to pay for services rendered per the customer agreement as this is a paysite and the expert is not paid for their time or services or factory directions and diagrams provided at personal expense to help you until you do so. If you have a subscription service, you still need to click the accept button but you are NOT charged again. Thank you and have a good day
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Very nice. I removed the console and found a wire pulled out, now I see the solenoid and how to push it in so I can move the shifter. I can drive now and it is not such an emergency for me. I can schedule getting harness replaced or see if I can repair the wire myself. Thank you.

Great, always glad when I can walk some thru a repair. have a great Sunday!