Alex, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician, L1 Advanced Level Specialist

Chevy S10: The fuel pressure regulator..4.3L

The fuel pressure regulator on a Chevy S10 4.3L engine has a little tube on the back. Is it supposed to be connected to something or plugged?
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'll be assisting you with your question.

The nipple on the fuel pressure regulator should be connected to a manifold vacuum source. You should see a vacuum hose nearby that has come disconnected from the regulator. If there is no vacuum hose to the regulator it will not work properly.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I do not see any hose I can connect it to. When I took off the plenum the only hoses I saw were the injector hoses from the injector assembly to the injectors. Where do I find the vacuum source, and what type of hose do I use?
I did more looking and that nipple actually should not have a vacuum hose attached to it. This vehicle has a CPI engine and the fuel pressure regulator is already under manifold vacuum due to its location. So that nipple should not have a vacuum hose attached to it.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks for the info, but it leads me to another question. Do I need to plug that nipple or just leave as is? Thanks again, I really appreciate your knowledge.
Just leave it open. It needs to be open to atmospheric pressure.