Virtual Wrench (L J)
Virtual Wrench (L J), Chevy Mechanic
Experience:  35 years Master Mechanic

Chevrolet Express 2500 blowing fuse to heater fan/new resistor

Customer Question

blowing fuse to heater fan/new resistor /new switch on dash ,blowing number 10 fuse under seat ,works some days then dont
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Virtual Wrench (L J) replied 3 years ago.

Did the connector on the resistor look like it had gotten hot?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes it melted ,replaced plug with resistor worked for a week ,now blowing fuses everyday

Thanks,

Pretty common on these to do that. You have 2 choices here. First replace the harness. Once they have melted it will arc inside the connector and cause the fuse to blow. Or you can replace the blower and harness together because a lot of times the blower draws way too many amps, then melts the connector and then blows fuses. Whenever we get one of these in the shop, we usually replace the harness first, because regardless it needs to be done, then replace the motor if it continues to blow. If the motor is drawing too many amps it will blow the fuse long before it melts the new harness. They stock a bunch of these harness's at the dealer. If you have an amp meter you can test the motor for current draw when it blows a fuse to confirm if the motor needs replaced.

If you have further questions feel free to reply.

Edited by Virtual Wrench on 2/15/2011 at 11:08 PM EST
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
replaced harness with new plug to resistor did work for a week or so /now its working when it wants to. some times i go 2 or more days before no# XXXXX fuse blows ,everything else works didnt try it on air just heat,dont understand where it shorting out,heating up, touch plug when fuse blows not hot, replaced everything switch/fan/resistor. what to do
Hi there, lost ya for a sec,,,,let me retype and i will be right back..
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
didnt recieve anything

Back again :-)

The blower motor is going to have to be replaced. Here is how it works. When one of the other, or even both the bearings in the motor start to drag it puts more strain on the armature of the motor, therefore cause the contacts between the brushes and the armature to overload, resistance and heat are developed and the circuit then draws too much current/amps and is beyond the fuse amp level and blows. It is characteristic for the motor to do this in an on and off situation, in other words it can work fine one time and as it develops the resistance and heat at the armature and/or bearings it draws too many amps and blows the fuse. That's what makes it confusing with circuits and amps because it doesn't always have to be a direct short to cause the fuse to blow.

I hope that clears things up a bit, but if you have further questions feel free to reply.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
all parts are from dealer, this fan is brand new do you think its bad

It sure wouldn't be the first time a new one was bad but the sure fire way to test it would be with an amp meter to monitor the draw. The dealer has one, but i don't think you would like the cost to test it. So that would be something that you would have to test. There are a couple different meters out there to test it, but kind of hard to rationalize just using it once.....we use an inductive amp lead that simply clamps around the wire and you can monitor the draw.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
wil try it and get back to you

You are most welcome.

If you have questions at anytime later you can always ask after you click on accept and it does NOT cost any more.

Thanks for asking!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
put other new fan in switched the new one still under warranty put new one in same problem blow fuse in 10 minutes soon as reached temp /will amp in wensday

Hi if you can get an amp meter in Wednesday that will help. Try to get one like the pic below.

What year is this beast anyway?

graphic

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
2006 chevy express 2500 4.8

Thanks.

Click here for the wiring diagram to assist you in hunting it down.

Please remember to click on accept so i receive credit for assisting you. and please leave some feedback.

Even if you have a subscription, please click to accept so i receive credit for working with you.You will NOT be charged again.

You can always ask follow up questions for no extra charge even after you click on accept

By accepting, it shows me that you appreciate my time and help.

Virtual Wrench (L J), Chevy Mechanic
Experience: 35 years Master Mechanic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
took both fans to dealer says there both in safe ohms reading,says thers a short some where in lights or heat systems on diagram,could you send me a elec diagram of van so i can troubleshoot wiring
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
now the fan stop without engine running just turn the heater/air condition knob back and forth fuse pops? go firgure, does the line from switch to fuse box need replaced
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
control assembly replaced/even light switch on same diagram/wheres the short,everything on diagram been replaced even air temperature actuator /whats left what do i test next
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
well got the fan to quit blowing fuses had to unplug the green/white wire on high pressers switch connnector on ac compressor,will this cause a problem,air conditioner dont work at this time

You found it!

Well,,,i do commend you for sticking to it. Most of my customers online would have given up long ago. Well done.

Thanks for asking!