Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

how do I remove the brake drum from the rear of a chevrolet cavalier

Customer Question

Category: Chevy
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 3 years ago.

hi

be sure the e-brake is not on....you may need to hit the hub kinda hard to get it to loosen up and pull right off

thanks

Please ACCEPT my answer so I can get credit for my work.i don't receive commission unless you do ..I'm not always going to be giving you good news,so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer.it does not cost you more money.we will still be able to communicate.. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated!if you are not satisfied with my answer,please do not leave bad feed back,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question.if i have sent any diagrams,please print them.they will only stay on here for an hour or so.PLEASE ASK IF YOU NEED MORE HELP

Cavalier, Sunfire 2001-2005

Brake Drums

• REMOVAL & INSTALLATION

Removal & Installation

CAUTION Dust and dirt accumulating on brake parts during normal use may contain asbestos fibers from production or aftermarket brake linings. Breathing excessive concentrations of asbestos fibers can cause serious bodily harm. Exercise care when servicing brake parts. Do not sand or grind brake lining unless equipment used is designed to contain the dust residue. Do not clean brake parts with compressed air or by dry brushing. Cleaning should be done by dampening the brake components with a fine mist of water, then wiping the brake components clean with a dampened cloth. Dispose of cloth and all residue containing asbestos fibers in an impermeable container with the appropriate label. Follow practices prescribed by the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) and the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) for the handling, processing, and disposing of dust or debris that may contain asbestos fibers.

1. Raise and support the vehicle.
    NOTE Mark the relationship of the wheel to the axle flange in order to ensure proper wheel balance upon assembly.

NOTE Mark the relationship of the brake drum to the axle flange in order to ensure proper wheel balance upon assembly.
  2. Remove the tire and wheel assembly.
  3. Remove the brake drum. If removing the brake drum is difficult, perform the following steps:

Ensure that the parking brake is released Back off the parking brake adjustment cable Use a rubber mallet in order to tap gently on the outer rim of the drum and/or around the inner drum diameter by the spindle. Do not use excessive force, which may deform the drum.

To install:

1. Adjust the rear brake assembly.
  2. Install the brake drum. Align the previous marks.
  3. Install the tire and wheel assembly.
  4. Remove the safety stands. Lower the vehicle.

1. Check to ensure that the park brake is fully released.
  2. Raise and support the vehicle.
  3. Remove the tire and wheel assembly.
  4. Remove the brake drum.
  5. If the brake drum is to be reinstalled to the vehicle, use the special tool J41013 to clean any rust or corrosion from the hub/flange mating surface of the brake drum.
  6. If necessary, carefully remove any corrosion from the edge of the drum braking surface in order to ease installation.
  7. Use the special tool J42450-A to clean the wheel hub flange.

To install:

1. Adjust the drum brakes.
  2. Install the brake drum.
  3. Install the tire and wheel assembly.
  4. Apply the brakes approximately three times in order to seat and center the brake shoes within the drum.
  5. Lower the vehicle.

1. Remove the wheel and tire assembly.
  2. Pull the brake drum off. It may be necessary to gently tap the rear edge of the drum to start it off the studs. If extreme resistance to removal is encountered, it will be necessary to retract the brake shoe self-adjuster screw, sometimes called the starwheel. Knock out the access hole in the brake drum and turn the adjuster to retract the linings from the drum. Install a replacement hole cover before reinstalling the drum.
    NOTE Do not hammer on the brake drum to remove it.

To install:

1. Inspect the inside of the brake drum. If worn, heavily grooved or if the opening is distorted, the drum should be refinished or replaced. If refinishing, observe the maximum drum diameter specification.
  2. Inspect the wheel cylinder for signs of brake fluid leakage. Inspect the brake shoe springs and self-adjuster mechanism. The adjuster should usually be disassembled, cleaned and lubricated when the drum is removed for brake service.
  3. Install the drum over the brake shoes.
  4. Install the wheel and tire assembly.
  5. Adjust the brakes.
  6. Check brake operation.