Shannon Martin
Shannon Martin, ASE Certified Master Technician
Experience:  over 20 years as a line technician both asian and domestic.
48411850

4 suburban: 5.7l..k1500..bad engine..a good price in a junkyard

i have a 99, 5.7l k1500 4/4 suburban with a bad engine. i found a 5.3 in a 2000 k1500 suburban 4/4 in very good condition for a good price in a junkyard. they say it won't work.they suggested taking the entire running gear soup to nuts. what exactly needs to be done to put this engine in my 99? both are k1500's,4/4,4l60e's.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Shannon Martin replied 5 years ago.
hi i am shannon i will help on this issue .please don,t shoot the messenger. the wreaking yard is correct in order to use the 5.3 you would have to change every thing that connects to the 5.3 computer all the electrical. which is every thing in the truck.the 99 computer is calibrated to run a 5.7 .some of the sensors are different. they are two different engine. please don.t try you will have nothing but problems to fix a some that can,t be fixed. with different operating systems.if this answered then please press the ACCEPT button .and i will thank you now. shannon
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thanx for the help. i was trying to save some money..i can get the entire vehicle for the price of a rebuild on the 99 5.7. hoped i could swap the entire drive train and computer to a more powerful and efficient system. so where is the best deal on a master kit for the 5.7? or perhaps a used engine?? what would you recommend? the last 5.7 i rebuilt cost a lot less to rebuild than the price of the kit alone does today.
my exspearance has taught me to buy a gm crate motor from the dealer.they will use your vin # XXXXX order the correct engine. i have had some bad experience from rebuilders. and if you follow the install instructions . gm will pay for a dealer to do any warranty repairs to the motor.