Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech

Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Transmission Slipping in overdrive

Customer Question

Transmission Slipping in overdrive and third gear. Will drive in second and low in tow/haul mode. 1999 Chev Silverado 1500 4 WD 4.8 engine. Transmission fluid level full
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 5 years ago.
so when it shifts into 3 rd gear will it rev up like its going into neatral?is the check engine light on?do you know if there are any codes in the computer?and 1st and 2nd gear shift just fine?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Yes it does rev up Yes the check engine light is on Yes there were codes on oxygen sensor EGR st and 2nd gears shift fine
Expert:  Gary replied 5 years ago.
ok since the fluid is full and you have 1st and 2nd gear the 3/4 clutches are burnt out inside the needs to come out and be rebuilt or to save alot of money you can have a slavage yard/junk yard transmission installed
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Would the fluid smell burnt
Expert:  Gary replied 5 years ago.
it may be a little dark usually when the fluid is burnt it is because all the clutches have burnt up.this is just the 3/4 clutch pack that has gone bad.usually will not smell burnt for just those clutches

Edited by GNwrench on 2/12/2011 at 5:29 PM EST
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What effect does the speed sensor switch have on the shifting? If it were bad could this cause any of these problems? How long do I have access to you
Expert:  Gary replied 5 years ago.
if you had a speed sensor problem it would not be shifting into 2nd can contact me threw this link any NOT click accept untill you are 100% satisfied
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thankyou I will get back with you
Expert:  Gary replied 5 years ago.