Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Chevrolet Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
11042942

1995 chevy g20 van cuts spark from coil after about 5 sec of starting

Customer Question

Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 3 years ago.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. My name is David and I will do my best to help you with your Chevy problem.

After the engine cuts out, connect a test light across the pink and white wires at the coil and crank the engine. The test light should flash. Let me know what you find.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok did it with the plug disconnected and it did not light up. does the plug need to be connected and tested from the back of the plug?
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 3 years ago.
The plug can be disconnected or connected. Try it both ways.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok i tried it with the plug connected and it lights up until the engine actually starts up and over runs the starter. as soon as it fires what seems like 1 or 2 full cycles the spark cuts out. i have a spark plug tester on the coil wire so i can see when its firing and when its not.
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 3 years ago.
THIS ANSWER IS LOCKED!
You can view this answer by clicking here to Register or Login and paying $3.
If you've already paid for this answer, simply Login.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
got power with the switch on
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 3 years ago.
Looks like the problem is going to be the ignition control module in the distributor. Most Autozone stores have a tester and can test this module for you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Got the ignition control module checked at advance auto and it tested good.
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 3 years ago.
Problem could be a bad pickup coil in the distributor or it could be that the diptributor shaft has become magnetized. Remove the cap and rotor and see if a screwdriver will stick to the distributor shaft like it is magnetized. If it is, the distriburot should be replaced.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
screwdriver doesnt stick to any part of the distributor with the key on or off
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 3 years ago.
Take an ohmmeter reading of the pickup coil in the distributor and let me know what you find.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
put a new battery in it and everything is working
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 3 years ago.
Thanks for the update.