Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Chevy Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Chevy Diagnostics
18617752

Chevy Impala: I slid into a curve and bent my tire

I slid into a curve and bent my tire. How much would the repair be? 01' chevy Impala 3.4 in engine.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 3 years ago.

Actually, more commonly when you hit a curb, it's the "rim" that is bent, and not the tire. As long as there are no obvious "bubbles" on the sidewall of the tire, it should be ok to reuse without any drivability issues. Seeing as this is a 2001, there is more than likely plenty of replacement rims at any local salvage yard. If you have just a plain "steel" rim with a hubcap, you're looking at around $30 for a new rim. If it's an aluminum rim, closer to $60-$75. Bring the new rim to any local garage, and have them mount the old tire to the new rim, and balance it- roughly $25, and you should be good as new.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok so what your saying is that;If the tire was removed off the the lug nuts,and completely removed,then that would be the part that is bent? So it's not the bearing,or the rod?
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 3 years ago.
Correct. Before removing the tire, however, look at the sidewall of the tire. Make sure there are no "bubbles" or "bulges" (you'll notice if there is!). When the tire is remove from the rim, it's the rim that will need to be replaced. As for the bearings or tie rods- i would STRONGLY recommend these be inspected for any damage. The tire/rim does not need to even be on the vehicle for this inspection. It'll will need to be put onto a lift and inspected for straightness and looseness.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok. I have special rims (18") on my car. There are no bubbles or anything,it's just the back left passenger side tire'towards the bumper is bent in. the tire and rim looks ok,it seems as if the part that the tire and rim sits on seems to be bent.
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 3 years ago.

I can't give you a price on "aftermarket" rims, as I have no access to that info, nor do I know which brand, etc. That you will have to check the manufacturer's website for.

As for whatever looks bent back there will need to be replaced, as this will effect alignment, and eventually will put extra stress on other suspension parts, causing them to fail prematurely. Below is a parts breakdown of your rear suspension. Pick out the part that looks bent to you, and i'll tell you what it is:

graphic

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No. 3
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 3 years ago.
This is your rear wheel hub assembly and bearing. It sells for around $475, and the labor time guide calls for 1.1hrs to complete the job. Labor rates vary rom shop to shop, to what you pay for labor will effect the botXXXXX XXXXXne.
Ron Z., - Chevy Tech -
Experience: 18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Chevy Diagnostics