Hal
Hal, Chevy Master Tech
Experience:  ASE and Chevy Master , 31yr Dealership exp,
39646262

Chevrolet S10 I have a 1996 S10 (4.3L V6 Vortec engine) that

I have a 1996 S10 (4.3L V6 Vortec engine) that is refusing to completely turn over and start. We did have to rebuild the top side of the engine because of blown head gaskets and blown manifold gasket...but now that it's rebuilt it's refusing to start. The engine turns over, compression is 'within range', nearly everything is brand new-water pump, radiator, fuel injector, plugs, wires, battery, hoses, alternator, you name it we likely replaced it or made it 'like new'...(we'd only owned the truck 4 days before it 'blew').

I have set the timing and it has stayed in time, however when I go to start it it acts like it's jumping time. My husband says that it's something in the block and we just have to scrap the whole motor and start over new... I'm needing other suggestions as to what may be causing the issue.

I REALLY need to figure out what is causing the truck not to start so my husband will give me my car back!
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Hal replied 3 years ago.

Hi my name is XXXXX XXXXX Your complete satisfaction is my goal. Please provide as much information about your concern as you can.

The distributor must be installed with the #1 cylinder on TDC compression stroke( both valves closed). The rotor tip must line up with the arrow on the distributor housing with a #6 on it.

Is the distributor installed in this position??

These are not easy to install the distributor correctly the first time if you have not performed this operation on a 4.3 V6 engine vortec. There are two marks on the balancer and a V mark on the timing cover to indicate TDC. One mark will be at 1:00 and the other will be at 4:00. The upper mark has to line up with the V mark on the timing cover

graphic

graphic

Verify this is installed correctly , and let me know. Also verify plug wire installation. Numbers on cap should match wires from cylinders.

Thanks

Hal

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I know the plug wires are connected properly...

Just to make sure I'm understanding your directions properly - the top mark on the balancer will be at 1:00, with a second line at 4:00? I think our problem may be that we've been lining up the 4:00 mark with the notch, instead of the 1:00... But I'm not sure. When we've worked to line up the mark my husband has turned the balancer, while I've held my finger over the #1 chamber, to feel for air pressure, when I've felt the pressure we've lined up the mark that was closest to the notch, then checked the distributor to make sure it was lined up properly. Is the a correct way to do this? Or should just visually lining the marks up be enough?
Expert:  Hal replied 3 years ago.

The mark at the 1;00 position is the TDC mark you need to use. Then the rotor should line up with the arrow on the distributor housing like the picture shows.

There is no adjustment that is possible for the distributor. If it is off only one tooth it will start but will set a trouble code for cam /crank correlation.

If it is off by more than one tooth it will not start, and will possibly kick back while starting.

If you used the lower mARK( 4;00) position to time this distributor, then this is your problem why it is not starting and kicking back.

Like I said earlier, this is not an easy procedure if you have not done it before.

1) verify the correct ark is used and the #1 cylinder is at TDC compression stroke.

( remove the sparkplug to verify piston is at TDC if you have to) ( Remove the left valve cover to verify both the intake and exhaust valves are closed on cylinder #1 , if you have to to verify compression stroke)

Then make sure the rotor is pointing at the arrow on the distributor housing.

NOTE: the #6 on the arrow is not for #6 cylinder. It is to identify the distributor housing is for a six cylinder engine.

The arrow is the correct position for #1 cylinder firing position.

Thanks

Hal

Hal, Chevy Master Tech
Experience: ASE and Chevy Master , 31yr Dealership exp,