GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.

My passenger side car door will not open from inside or outside Pulling the handles does

My passenger side car door will not open from inside or outside? Pulling the handles does nothing. Panel was removed but linkage looks to be in place.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 5 years ago.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Hello, I'm Cam. Please include all the details about your issue so I can accurately advise you. I cannot see your vehicle so please be detailed.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Have you tried hitting the latch assembly inside the door panel to jog it and hopefully make it work?

Are you able to verify the linkage is in the unlocked position?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the power lock switch inside the car is in unlock position. inside the panel i can see that the switch is connected to a metal rod. the inside door handle is connected to another metal rod. both rods are clamped into place by plastic clips. when the handle/switch is pulled, the corresponding rods move.. however whatever those rods are further connected to is beyond my sight
But they are not loose , they feel normal other than the fact the door does not open?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no they are in place but it doesn't open.. also, when i was pulling on the outside handle, the handle itself came off and i could see that there were two levers attached to it. one lever could move forward (as it would if the handle were attached) but the other is very hard to move without some kind of tool.. my guess is the outside door handle wasn't attached right to that second lever, but it's all plastic so i don't know
Ok, it sounds like the latch in the door has failed. Can you hit the latch from the inside?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no i can't reach anything inside the door.
Even with a chunk of wood or something like that?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
no i was trying to use a flat screwdriver but its not long enough. i have to remind you the door is shut and can't open, plus there is metal in the way, so reaching the latch seems impossible.
I know, and it is very difficult. If I can be honest, this is always me worst feared repair because it usually ends up cutting something out to get it open.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
could a mechanic do it? would they have to cut the door open? how much do you think that would cost?
Teh tech may have some tools that will allow him to cut the latch pin only. If I was to guess, 200 or so.