GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.
10949255

2001 Chevy: transfer case..4wd..2wd..a slight slip or hesitation

Customer Question

2001 Chevy 1500 Silverado 4X4 Autotrac transfer case - Auto 4wd, 2wd, 4wd Hi, 4wd Lo electronic shift. The first symptom I noticed was a slight slip or hesitation when pulling away from stop light. This happened a couple time over three months. The condition began to escalate a couple months after the last short slip leaving stop sign. Now transfer case or transmission completely slips after about 200 -400 ft. On restart of engine I get another 200-400 ft.
Submitted: 3 years ago via Mitchell1DIY.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 3 years ago.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Hello, I'm Cam. Please include all the details about your issue so I can accurately advise you. I cannot see your vehicle so please be detailed.

GM Tech (Cam) :

You are feeling what is called Slip Bump. What is happening is the slip yoke into the transfer case is binding under power. The fix takes about an hour and if you can take it off, yourself and have a small file, then you can do this yourself. Using a small triangular file, file the edge of the splines in the slip yoke. 1-2 quick strokes is enough. You just want to smooth the corner off. Ideally you will not be able to see a difference, but when you clean it out and lube it with grease, then install it, that slip bump will be gone.

JACUSTOMER-0xs4fd0y- :

2001 Chevy 1500 Silverado 4X4 Autotrac transfer case - Auto 4wd, 2wd, 4wd Hi, 4wd Lo electronic shift. The first symptom I noticed was a slight slip or hesitation when pulling away from stop light. This happened a couple time over three months. The condition began to escalate a couple months after the last short slip leaving stop sign.There was a point where the transmission or transfer case began to slip and jerk on ecceleration Now transfer case or transmission completely slips after about 200 -400 ft. On restart of engine I get another 200-400 ft.

GM Tech (Cam) :

What is the colour of the transmission fluid?

JACUSTOMER-0xs4fd0y- :

Oops! Let me finish what I was typing - I accidentally hit enter! 2001 Chevy 1500 Silverado 4X4 Autotrac transfer case - Auto 4wd, 2wd, 4wd Hi, 4wd Lo electronic shift. The first symptom I noticed was a slight slip or hesitation when pulling away from stop light. This happened a couple time over three months. The condition began to escalate a couple months after the last short slip leaving stop sign.There was a point where the transmission or transfer case began to slip and jerk on acceleration to the point where I didn't think it would keep driving. Then when Parking it at home after a mile or so of this condition, it felt like the trans or transfer was binding forward and reverse, grind-ed in reverse, then cleared up and drove fine. It then drove several times just fine 30 mile or so in 2wd, and then when I attempted to shift into 4wd Hi and 4wd Lo the problem returned. I noticed the shift lights lights were not working correctly and replaced the shift buttons on the dash. Now transfer case or transmission completely slips after about 200 -400 ft. On restart of engine I get another 200-400 until it completely slips again. The trans mission fluid is a light tan - have not checked transfer case fluid yet due to bad weather - today, in a minute, I will check check transfer case fluid. I presume it is checked at the fill hole, fill it until it comes out like most manual transmissions and transfers?

JACUSTOMER-0xs4fd0y- :

I read it takes approx 2 qts of the blue fluid.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Yes that is where you check it. yes blue fluid.

JACUSTOMER-0xs4fd0y- :

Thanks. It feels like an automatic trans with low fluid, but my trans has fluid. I have never seen leaks from any part of the drive train. Wouldn't the transfer case act this way if it was low on fluid or it was was degraded. Also, wouldn't it the problem progress more slowly it the fluid was low or going bad? Because it was acting up then cleared up a few times and seemed to (almost like re-boot) and clear up the problem after shutting down and restarting.

JACUSTOMER-0xs4fd0y- :

I'm refer ring to the clutch pack in the transfer

GM Tech (Cam) :

It may be that the system is cutting in and out of gear, and that clutch is only for the front drive shaft.

JACUSTOMER-0xs4fd0y- :

Shift motor, possible?

GM Tech (Cam) :

or the shift pads on the fork inside.

JACUSTOMER-0xs4fd0y- :

humm!

GM Tech (Cam) :

But look at the fluid and lets see.

JACUSTOMER-0xs4fd0y- :

I guess I should replace all fluids and level then go from there, yes got ya

JACUSTOMER-0xs4fd0y- :

should I pay you now and get to you if the problem continues?

GM Tech (Cam) :

Even just look and see not replace just yet.

GM Tech (Cam) :

If you just change it we may miss something.

JACUSTOMER-0xs4fd0y- :

I'm not sure how this works with your help and payment. should I pay you now or later?

GM Tech (Cam) :

Bookmark this page so you can easily navigate back to it, and so you know, you can reply at any time for follow up information regarding this issue, even after you accept my answer and I will reply.

JACUSTOMER-0xs4fd0y- :

I will pay you when I return. and I'll book mark this page. Thanks Cam. I kind of want to pay you now for your help.

GM Tech (Cam) :

As long as you pay when we are done, that is fine, then if you want you can leave a bonus as well. but see what we find. Plus if you pay now, the chat part closes and it reverts to regular q&a and chat is easier.

JACUSTOMER-0xs4fd0y- :

Okay. got ya. Definitely a bonus, as well. I'll get back to ya in a little bit. Thanks Cam.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Ok

JACUSTOMER-0xs4fd0y- :

Hey Cam,

JACUSTOMER-0xs4fd0y- :

Hey Cam, The Transmission fluid is at the proper level pretty fresh, still purple. The transfer case is full and and blue. I started the truck after we spoke (chat), and could hear a growl, sounding like the a power steering pump when it's low on fluid, come from the transmission. I let the engine warm to see if the growl changed tone or anything, and then put it into drive and the truck moved forward a foot or so, slipping with the engine RPM increasing, and then quit moving forward. Reverse, nothing. Shut off the engine, came back 20-30 minutes and started the truck again, and it went into gear and drove up the small hill on my property. Transmission hooking up perfectly - forward. I did not try reverse at this time because I wanted the truck where it is. That's what it has been doing though. It's almost like it's electrical problem. (I'm an electrician and electronics tech) Sometimes I start the truck and it operates perfectly, and other times it has these slippage problems. Shut it off, put it into park, and re-start and it's fine again. It does seem to noticeably correct itself if it has a cool down period. In other words, if it starts having problems, and I shut down and re-start quickly, the self correction is not as responsive. I know it doesn't self-correct, but it like re-booting a computer; with computers re-booting more often than not, fixes the glitch it has. Is there some electronic systems that could cause this type of problem? Can I get or buy an after market OCD reader for this this truck that will read transmission codes for a reasonable price, if needed?

JACUSTOMER-0xs4fd0y- :

I'll be back in a few minutes.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Purple,.. that is odd, it should be red.

GM Tech (Cam) :

The noise worries me and makes me think that it may be on its way out.

JACUSTOMER-0xs4fd0y- :

Or a slightly faded red on the fluid. Would a code reader help?

JACUSTOMER-0xs4fd0y- :

or dirty red

GM Tech (Cam) :

No, a code reader may not, how would you feel about dropping the transmission pan?

JACUSTOMER-0xs4fd0y- :

I could do that. What will I be looking for?

GM Tech (Cam) :

Debris in the pan, chunks of stuff, more than a light paste on the magnet and junk in the filter.

JACUSTOMER-0xs4fd0y- :

Cool! I'll get to checking on that. Yea, I get it now. If there is metal chips, etc. It'll be pretty clear there is some failure and the trans needs rebuilding or replacement. Nothing mechanical works well with chips and stuff in it. :)

GM Tech (Cam) :

Or if the clutch material or other debris is in there.

JACUSTOMER-0xs4fd0y- :

I'll get back to you in about an hour, okay.

GM Tech (Cam) :

ok

JACUSTOMER-0xs4fd0y- :

Hi Cam,

JACUSTOMER-0xs4fd0y- :

Good morning! I apologize for not getting back to you yesterday. I couldn't get the pan completely off yesterday, I needed the torx socket to remove the shift cable bracket. (I live about 20 mile from town - Temecula, Ca) I'm heading out to get the torx set, filter, fluid, and filter. I haven't seen any indication, so far, of debris or anything. It almost looks like the drain plug has a magnet on it, but it doesn't seem to remotely stick to anything. I read an interesting and encouraging article regarding this and similar issues. I know the more accurately I can describe the problem and all surrounding conditions the easier it is for to diagnose the problem - I do it with electrical equipment. But I do need to check this fluid, filter, debris issue more thoroughly Last night I got the wiring diagram with helps me get a better understanding of how these systems tie together, electronic (digital), electrical (solenoids, temp and pressure switches), hydraulics, and the mechanical. I'm also going to barrow a DTC reader for this vehicle and get the code and see what the transmission is sending to the TCM. Apparently, I'm need it to re-set the TCM anyway. I found an article that pretty much nails this issue; I'll get back to you and let you know how it goes and look forward to compensating you for your help. Mike

JACUSTOMER-0xs4fd0y- :

I meat gasket instead of 'filter' up there the second time I used it.

GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience: GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Cam, Sorry about the delay in my response, I've been running in all directions (in life) and the truck. the good news the truck is repaired and running fine. There were metal chips in the pan that were larger than I'm comfortable with, but it was driving fine with only intermittent issues. In a 'devine meeting with one of my neighbors, who is a certified Chevy mechanic, I was able to get additional answers for this issue. Your advice put me on the right track, thank you! The problem was solved with the replacement of all the shift, and the fluid pressure solinoids. Driving and shifting prefectly! For the record.... (because of the size of the metal chips - bigger than I can be absolutley comfortable with) I increased my AAA tow milage just in case. Thank you for your help and advice! God bless, my friend.. Michael.
Thanks for using Just Answer. If you want me to answer your next GM or GM product question, please put "For GMTECH Cam to Answer" and I should get it. Thank You!!