Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Chevrolet Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification

2008 chevy: dome lights..lights stopped working..checked fuses

2008 chevy express dome lights stopped working checked fuses all good what else could it be.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 3 years ago.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX X will do my best to help you with your Chevy problem.

Do the lights not work with any of the doors, or just the drivers door?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
nothing turns the lights on every door used too.the dial on the dash used to and when I unlocked the doors the lights used too nothing turns them on anymore
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 3 years ago.
I am checking schematics. Be right back with you.
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 3 years ago.
If you have a test light or voltmeter, check for power at the TBC fuse in the underhood fuse panel. If this fuse has power then the fault will be in the BCM (body control module). The BCM controls all lighting, door lock, and security functions. The BCM takes inputs from the dimmer switch and each door switch and turns the dome lights on.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Dont think I have a tbc fuse
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 3 years ago.

According to the diagram, it is fuse #18 in the underhood fuse panel.

The label for the underhood fuse panel shows that this fuse location should be empty. If you find this to be true then check the BCM 2 fuse in fuse location #37.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I will check I checked the fuses but I will check to see if there is power there.If there isnt can I refeed it?How would it loose power?
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 3 years ago.
If there is no power at this fuse then check the backside of the fuse panel for a break in this circuit. The fusible link that supplies power to this fuse also supplies power to several other fuses and you would have more problems than just the dome light if the fusible link were bad.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
checked the fuse it is good and the terminal has power on it so it is the bcm?Can I bypass the bcm somehow and rewire the dome lights I dont care if they dim down a simple on off is fine.
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 3 years ago.

Does sound like the BCM is bad. Supplying power to the orange wire at any of the dome or courtesy lamps will feed power into all the other lights and will make them work.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
will the door switches ativate them or it will be on all the time
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 3 years ago.
It would be on all the time. The door switches and panel dimmer switch supply a ground signal to the BCM and then the BCM sends power to the dome/courtesy lights. If you want the doors to activate the lighting, you would have to wire a relay in that would take the signal from the door and switch power to the lights. Not terribly hard to do. Let me know if you need some help with this.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am capable of wiring a relay just need to know what wires I need to grab from the bcm to trigger the relay
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 3 years ago.
Okay, great. Give me a few minutes to pull up the diagram for you . I will be back soon.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok thanks
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 3 years ago.

Most of the door ajar signal wires are in the BCM connector X6 (pink connector) See diagrams below.

graphic

graphic

The dimmer switch control wire is in connector X2, pin 18 dark blue/white wire

graphic

graphic

Each of the door signal wires and the dimmer switch control wire can be connected together to supply a ground signal to turn on the relay.

The BCM is located under the passenger side of the dash.

Remove the knee bolster by unsnapping it from the dash.

graphic

The BCM and connectors are behind this panel.

graphic

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
door ajar wires or door open wires?Also is there power there at the bcm I can grab?What about the dome light wire where is that at the bcm?I would like to install the relay there so I can Tie in everything in one spot.
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 3 years ago.

You will want to tie into the door open switch signal wires. The drivers door signal wire is in connector X7 (tan connector) pin 23

graphic

graphic

At connector X4 (black connector), tap into the red/white wire at terminal 1. This is the power source.

graphic

graphic

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
and the orange pin 1 x2 connector is the positive output for the dome lights?Should I cut the wires from the bcm for the door pins and the dome light output or should I just tap into them?Will I get feedback if I leave them connected?
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 3 years ago.
Yes the orange wire at X2, pin 1 is the power supply out to the dome lights. Tapping into the wires should be fine. You shouldn't get any feedback from the wiring. The driver information center may say that all doors are ajar when one is opened, but this shouldn't cause any problems.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok I will give it a try tomorrow after work hope it works out .If it does I will accept your answer.Thanks for all your help
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 3 years ago.
You are welcome. Should work out fine. Let me know if you need additional assistance.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Got the dome lights working but didnt have to rewire.There was a short on one of the lights.The bcm drops power to the lights when there is a short it doesnt blow a fuse.
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 3 years ago.
Glad you were able to figure out the problem and get it fixed. Thanks for the update.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I will pay your for your help because now I have the diagrams in case I need to rewire.Also the orange was not the wire for the domelight it does go to the dome light but it is not connected to the bulb the blu white is the positive for the dome light.
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 3 years ago.
Okay, I had one set of diagrams that conflicted with another set of diagrams. One showed the blue/white and the other showed the orange.
Dave Nova, Chevrolet Technician
Experience: ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification