jazzmaster
jazzmaster, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE .AUTO TECH FOR THIRTY-FIVE YRS,ELCTRICAL,FUEL INJECTION ETC.
8668911

2009 Impala: driver side..vent..air flow..Dealer says normal

2009 Impala driver side floor vent has very little air flow. Dealer says normal. Dealer showed 2010 with same reduced air flow. If in Florida it would be fine, but very little heat in winter at feet even at highest temp and highest fan setting.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  jazzmaster replied 3 years ago.
hi,unfortunately this is the design of the car they didnt put much into the car for the drivers side floor,we have had a few customers complain about this and all we could do is advice to restrict the passenger side floor vent with a cloth to increase the flow to the drivers side which works well ,working on all types of vehicles I sometimes have to wonder ,what were they thinking ...guy...
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have been googling - do you think it could be a problem in the "blend air acutator" flap for that side since I am guessing there is 2 because of the 2 climate controls for the front.
no, the blend air door actuators are for temp control
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I intend to accept your answer, but curious about how this works. What is it then that redirects the flow as the direction is changed from floor to vents to defrost? Are those what are called "air flow actuators"? If yes, are those working on a vacuum? Are they the same thing as what is called "vacuum acutators"? I am still having trouble understanding why one side is different than the other side in the front and that is just the way it is. If this all works with multiple actuators in a series instead of one actuator (I was guessing the blend actuator had more than one function than just the blending of hot and cold), I am having trouble understanding why one in that series couldnt be malfuntioning.

the actuator that controls the flow to different areas is called the mode actuator ,I am including diagrams to show you the different actuators ,if the temp is different on the pass side from the drs side then this could be a problem with the air temp actuator for the drs side ,you can see this from near the gas pedal look up and to the right ,its on the side of the hvac case (heater/a/c case) change the temp on the drs side and watch to see if the actuator rod moves when you change the temp from cold to hot and hot to cold ,if it seems like its not moving then this will have to be replaced,perhaps the actuator is not moving fully and giving you a little cooler air then the pass side ,if it is the temp actuator for the drs side this calls for removal of the hvac case to replace (3.5 hrs)),there is one thing that can be tried but you need a good scanner ,the actuators can be recalibrated but this requires a scanner

graphic

1 - HVAC Module
2 - Mode Actuator
3 - Air Temperature Actuator (C67), Air Temperature Actuator - Right (CJ3)
4 - Recirculation Actuator
5 - Blower Motor
6 - Blower Motor Control Module
7 - Air Temperature Actuator - Left (CJ3

jazzmaster, ASE Certified Technician
Experience: ASE .AUTO TECH FOR THIRTY-FIVE YRS,ELCTRICAL,FUEL INJECTION ETC.