GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.
10949255

MY SILVERADO DIES WHILE DRIVING AND IF I..FUEL PUMP..FUEL FILTERS

Customer Question

MY SILVERADO DIES WHILE DRIVING AND IF I WAIT ABOUT 5 MINUTES I CAN START IT UP AGAIN AND CONTINUE DRIVING UNTIL IT DECIDES TO QUIT AGAIN. I PUT A NEW FUEL PUMP IN LAST JULY AND HAVE PUT IN 3 NEW FUEL FILTERS .
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 3 years ago.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Hello, I'm Cam. Please include all the details about your issue so I can accurately advise you. I cannot see your vehicle so please be detailed.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Do you get any warning lights when it does?

Customer :

all the lights come on when it dies

GM Tech (Cam) :

OK, When it will not start, can you hear the pump running in the tank?

Customer :

i don't try to start it when it dies i wait a few minutes and then start it and it usually starts right up

GM Tech (Cam) :

OK, There is a common issue on these, the grounds on the frame under the drivers door. That is the ground for the fuel pump and they are common for corrosion and coming loose.

Customer :

i suppose it could be a ground i just don't understand why it will start up after i wait a few minutes.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Hard to say. How often does it do this?

Customer :

every time i drive it about 10 miles and whats weird is it stops running at the exact spot every time

GM Tech (Cam) :

Ok, do you know if it starts straight away again?

Customer :

yes it starts up just fine if i wait a few minutes if i don't it wont start

GM Tech (Cam) :

OK, we need it not starting to do some tests. We need to see if there is spark and if you can hear the pump when it will not start.

Customer :

i'll have to take out on the road again and listen for the pump when it quits i don't think i can hear the pump with the starter running

GM Tech (Cam) :

Listen to the tank for 2 seconds when you turn the key on to see if you can hear it for the prime cycle.

Customer :

ok i'll check the ground first and then if that doesn't work i'll listen for the pump.i would like to get back to you if i'm still having problems. mike

GM Tech (Cam) :

That is just fine Mike, Bookmark this page so you can easily navigate back to it, and so you know, you can reply at any time for follow up information regarding this issue, even after you accept my answer and I will reply.

GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience: GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

WELL I CHANGED THE FUEL FILTER REDID THE GROUNDS ON THE FRAME UNDER THE DRIVERS SIDE AND IT STILL DIES, I NOTICED THIS TIME IT STARTED MISSING BEFORE IT DIED NO LIGHTS CAME ON JUST SPUTTERED AND DIED. I GUESS THE NEXT THING I'M GOING TO TRY IS REPLACING THE FUEL PUMP AGAIN I JUST REPLACED IT IN JULY I DON'T KNOW WHAT ELSE TO DO. I PUT IT ON A SCANNER AND NO CODES SHOWED UP, SO THATS THE NEXT THING I'M GOING TO TRY. I CAN'T AFORD TO KEEP PAYING PEOPLE FOR GUESSES I CAN GUESS AS WELL AS THE NEXT PERSON. MIKE

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
WELL YOU GOT YOURS AND THE HELL WITH ME
Mike if you are going to be a use to me then I will not assist you. I am sorry that you replied after I was offline. I told you that I would continue to assist you and provided this conversation is not abusive, I will.

The test I would do is watch the fuel pressure when it happens rather that throwing parts at it. Also if you just put the pump in, then ther should be a year warranty on it.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ME TO I'M SORRY I TOOK UP SO MUCH OF YOUR TIME, BUT THIS IS NOT A REC. VEHICLE THIS IS MY LIVELY HOOD YOU PEOPLE ARE SUPPOSED TO BE THE "EXPERTS" NOT ME, I GUESS I'LL JUST DO IT THE OLD FASHION WAY TRIAL AND ERROR.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
if your interested in the outcome of my truck the problem was the crankshaft sensor, after i changed the fuel pump again and the pressure regulator. mike
Thanks for the feedback I will keep that in mind.