Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database

97 suburban: dash lights..tail lights..blows, inspected wiring apears

Customer Question

fuse blows on 97 suburban for tail and dash lights, changed switch and removed tail lights fuse still blows, inspected wiring apears good
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to help get your problem resolved. Ask follow up questions, thanks.

What is the fuse # XXXXX and how many amp fuse?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
fuse 15 20A for tail lights and gauge lights in dash, fuse blows instantly when light switch is turned on to parking lights. I am an electrician but I don't have a diagram so I don't know how the circuit is wired. Hard to troubleshoot because I don't know how it is routed.or the pin connection on the switch.if I had the connection diagram I could isolate the problem.
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.

Since you know electrical diagrams this shouldnt be a problem for is the diagram for that circuit, let me know if you have questions. thanks.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
where is the h1 relay located
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
That is for pickup only.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok where is G6 relay located?
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
It is the middle relay on relay box below steering wheel area.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
pulled relay, fuse still blows instantly when switch is turned on to parking lights, do you have diagram of pin connector for switch so I can isolate from there?
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
With the relay pulled there is no way the fuse should blow......Are you sure its the right relay? DO you have fot lights?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
don't know the term fot lights, don't have fog lights. headlights are on only tail lights and dash gauge lights are out, operate from fuse. clock light is on prndl indicator is lit but won't dim without fuse still have power to the terminal connection strip to light switch. If I start at top left of term connector going down left side I have power at pin 2 right side from top down power on pin 2, 3 and 6 when fuse is in but switch off, {disconnected]. pulled two relays a four pin flasher relay [potter brumfield] and a five pin [ omron 12077866 D00]
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
I meant to say "fog lights"?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok, do you have the diagram for the pin connector?
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.
Do you have fog lights?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Expert:  Dan replied 5 years ago.

According to my diagram there is no possible way for fuse to blow when headlights are turned on if relay is removed....I'll opt-out of question to see if someone else has some ideas. Someone will respond automatically so dont reply or question will be locked to me only. thanks.