GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.
10949255

How to change the transmission shift cable on a 2002 silverado pickup

Submitted: 3 years ago via CarComplaints.com.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 3 years ago.
Hello, I'm Cam. Please include all the details about your issue so I can accurately advise you. I cannot see your vehicle so please be detailed.
This is not all that difficult. First set the parking brake, climb under the truck, remove the clip that holds the cable housing to the bracket. Then pop the cable off the lever and release the cable from the bracket. REmove the other clip on the transfer case if there is one.
Then lift the carpet and remove the cable from the side of the shifter. Work the cable out of the bracket under the column and route it out. Then install the new one.
With the transmission end still off, but the lever and transmission in park, push the center adjustment together so the hole lines up perfeclty with the shaft and then lock the adjustment and push it on.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Do I need to remove the plastic housing over the shift lever on the steering wheel column?
The lower trim will make it easier as well as the half moon metal knee bolster.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Do I need any special tools? When I purchase the cable is it all inclusive or should I get other parts as well?
it shoud include all and simple hand tools are all that you need.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Is this a dealer part item or can I get a cable from a Napa Auto parts or online?
All of the above I believe.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
This is the second cable that has failed, is this a common problem with this model?
what part of them is failing?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I am not sure, I think at the column end. That appears to be sloppy and it will not shift down to 1st gear. Similar to what happened last time the cable failed. I had the dealer replace it under warranty.
At the column end is usually not a problem, it is the transmission end that fails from dirt and physical damage.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I appears to be a two piece cable with a coupling in the middle by the frame. Is all that included with the cable part?
Yes, the center coupling is where the adjustment I was talking about is. It pushs together.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Do the cables need adjustment periodically or to be oiled? I have not removed the cable yet since I use the pickup daily as a forester and want to purchase the part first. Does the cable rust and come apart at the transmission end?>
No, no and no. The corrosion is under the boot when the boot gets torn.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I checked the boot on the transmission end and it is not torn or pulled back. Does the cable fray, stretch and finally break at this location?
Again, only when there is physical damage like getting bent there.
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience: GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.