Hal
Hal, Chevy Master Tech
Experience:  ASE and Chevy Master , 31yr Dealership exp,
39646262

2002 chevrolet: duramax diesel ran for about 2 minutes..It wont start

The 2002 chevrolet duramax diesel ran for about 2 minutes and quit. It wont start at all,it has about 220000 miles on it. What could go wrong or cause this to happen? I checked all fuses and it wheels over fine,it has a glow plug trouble code.

Hi my name is XXXXX XXXXX Your complete satisfaction is my goal. Please provide as much information about your concern as you can

Have you recently replaced the fuel filter??

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yes put a new one one it right after that happened it didnt help. Does them have a fuel pump in the tank?

There is no fuel pump in the tank. The injection pump has a fuel transfer pump on it to pull fuel from the tank. So this means the entire fuel line from the tank and including the fuel filter is under vacuum/suction. If there is any leak in the system it will pull air in,( but not leak fuel out)

What you described as you concern is exactly like when air is pulled into the fuel system. The most common place for the leak to occur is at the filter water sensor at the bottom of the fuel filter.

You may have repaired the leak by installing the fuel filter, but you may have air still in the system. The primer pump must pump up hard! If you can not get it to pump up hard then there is still air in the system.

How did you bleed the fuel filter?? I always remove the bleed screw, this way I get all the air out. Then pump the primer up until hard( it will not pump any more).

Then crank engine.. I may even have someone pump the primer while I crank the engine.

Try this and let me know if it starts.

Thanks

Hal

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Where is the primer pump at?

The primer is on top of the fuel filter. It is plunger about the size of a .50cent piece.

graphic