kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech
Experience:  I HAVE OWNED MY OWN SHOP FOR OVER THREE YEARS. I HAVE THE TOOLS AND SOFTWARE TO ANSWERE ALMOST ANY Q
5629372

1994 Chevy: Temperature guage to fluctuate..degrees..warmed..drive my

Customer Question

What causes the Temperature Guage to fluctuate back & forth between 180 & 220 degrees, once the engine is warmed up and as I drive my 1994 Chevy Pick-up, 5.7L?????
Category: Chevy
Expert:  kalamykid replied 3 years ago.

kalamykid :

How cold is it there where you are?

Customer :

Fairly seasonable here currently

kalamykid :

The thermostat will open at arouind 210 and closes at 170-180. Os as long as the temp is not going above 220 then there is nothing to worry about.

Customer :

It does go beyond 220 degrees... the needle slowly increases until it's completely in the orange or red portion of the guage, then goes back down to what I would consider normal. This continues the entire time I'm driving the vehicle.

kalamykid :

This can be a early warning sign that the water pump is going to need to be replaced soon. if the pump is not pushing water through the system fast enough. It can also be that the thermostat is not o-pening and closing correctly.

Customer :

I've replaced the thermostat. I figured I would try that before replacing the water pump. A friend thought it might be an air pocket, but I think I've ruled that out. I forgot to tell you that if I remove the radiator cap, and allow the engine to warm while watching the fluid level, the fluid will rise, then fall seemingly consistent with the way the temperature guage reading does.

kalamykid :

Did you have this same problem before you replaced the water pump?

Customer :

I haven't replaced the water pump, just the thermostat. I considered that the water pump might be the problem, but hoped that replacing the thermostat would resolve the issue.

kalamykid :

I am sorry I meant the thermostat.

kalamykid :

Been a long day and the letters on my key board are running together.

Customer :

Yes, I did have the same problem before replacing the thermostat. That's kind of why I figured I'd change it. I understand the long day issue!

kalamykid :

does the heat fluctuate with the temp gage from the heater?

Customer :

Heat seems to remain constant, coming out of the heater! The temp of the air flowing out of the heater gets really hot...and always has. By the way, I've had this truck for only 2 years.

kalamykid :

If the temp is not dropping out the vents then i would have to say the water pump is going to be your problem.

Customer :

Okay... that's what I was afraid of! I guess that will be my next project!

kalamykid :

At least it is not a hard part to change. The only hard part is to get the fan clutch to come loose form the front of the pump if it has the spin on cluthc.

Customer :

No, the fan clutch is attached by the 4 bolts/hex nuts. You're right! Not a really difficult part to change, I just don't especially like changing them!

kalamykid :

At least it is the easy one. Make sure to only use preston dexcool coolant in this system.

kalamykid :

It cost a little bit more, but the plastic intake gaskets will not mix well if the other coolants.

Customer :

Okay. Thanks for the diagnosis!

kalamykid :

You are very welcome

kalamykid :

did you get the water pump replaced? DId that take care of your problem?