Experience:  ASE certified tech ADVANCED LEVEL SPECIALIST. Wisconsin certified emissions state inspector

2005 Impala: Heater fan is not blowing out air

Customer Question

Heater fan is not blowing out air on my 2005 Impala. Started approximately one week ago. The fan would not work and then start working.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 5 years ago.
Hello and Welcome to Just Answer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will try my best to assist you and your 100% satisfaction is my goal. I have been working on these vehicles for over 10 years so I am very familiar with this system and how they work. However, keep in mind, that I need some solid concrete facts/evidence/clues from you in order to give you a good answer about your vehicle. Please realize that all my answers are based solely on the info that you provide me with....

Does the blower motor currently not work?

HAve you checked power and ground to it?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No I have not checked blower motor.
Expert:  AMEDEE replied 5 years ago.
Well, you could have a bad connection or even just a bad blower motor. I would start by checking power and ground at the blower motor when it is not working with the key on and switch on high. If both are present and the blower motor is not working, the blower motor is bad and will need to be replaced.

Just a side note... you could have a bad ignition switch. THis is very common! THe contacts inside cause a massive voltage drop which cause low voltage to the HVAC heat unit which will in turn cause low/no voltage to the blower motor.