Mike S.
Mike S., Chevy Mechanic
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician
20625509

Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LT I am replacing a factory cd/cassette

I am replacing a factory cd/cassette player in a 2004 Chevy Silverado 1500 LT with a refurbished 6 disc CD changer I bought on E-bay. I simply plugged it in in place of the old one. The heater fan now continues blowing even when the vehicle is shut off and the keys are out. The changer displays a "locked" but will not give me the flash code when I hold the 1 and 4 or 2 and 3 presets. How do I fix this
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Mike S. replied 6 years ago.

Please include the year,make,model,sub-model,engine,2wd,4wd,flex,gas,diesel. Please click accept when done, thanks and come back often.

So I can look at wiring diagrams, is this a HD or not and a 2wd or 4wd. Also, on the factory cd/cassette player, is that the Base/Uplevel Radio - Uq3/Uq5, Luxury Radio - Uq7 W/Y91 or the Premium Radio - Uq7 W/O Y91?

On the new one, do you have the make, model number?

Expert:  Mike S. replied 6 years ago.

Did you hold down 2 and 3 for at least 6 seconds?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.

2004 Chevrolet Silverado Z-71, 1500 LT gasoline 4wd Extended Cab, 5800 eng

Old one Part #15138489

New one Replacement Part # XXXXX

Held 2 and 3 down for more than 6 seconds and up to 1 minute on another try

Expert:  Mike S. replied 6 years ago.

Ok, as far as the radio locked, here is all the info I could find out so far. It appears though they are assuming that you can retrieve the code though, not anything yet as far as pressing 2 and 3 not working. While I continue to search for that answer and also the heater fan now continues blowing let me give you this that I have so far. Hopefully when I find the problem it will fix both.

For an article on Unlocking Gm radios, click here.

After the code is learned then follow this,

graphic

graphic

graphic

Expert:  Mike S. replied 6 years ago.

So far I found out that The 15138489 is the GMC Single CD / with Cassette Delco / Delphi Electronics GMC Safari.
The 15184935 is the GMC Single CD / No Cassette Delco / Delphi Electronics
GMC Sierra.
Now, on the old system I have 3 possible systems that it was, you could look maybe in the glove box for the rpo code. It should be a Uq3 or Uq5 for the base system. The Uq5 appears to be a 4 SPKR SYS.

Or it could be rpo code Uq7 which is the Luxury which is a bose so it's not that cause I know it's a Delphi. So that only leaves the rpo code Uq3 or the Uq5. The other was just another Bose Uq7 without Y91.

Expert:  Mike S. replied 6 years ago.

Here are the wiring diagrams.

For the manual blower, click here.

For the manual blower power, click here.
For the automatic blower, click here.
For the Digital Radio Receiver, click here.
For the Digital Radio power ground, click here.

If you just simply plugged it in in place of the old one, I don't see anything that could be causing the heater blower ton run except that they share the same ground G203. Try disconnecting that ground for now and see if the blower fan at least turns off. If so it may be a poor ground and it is backfeeding into the entertainment system for a target to ground.

Plus, does the cd player read lock or loc?