Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database

99 chevy tahoe: wont start..start.....the starter

my 99 chevy tahoe wont start... just changed the starter out but the power wont go to the starter

Welcome to JustAnswer, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to help get your problem resolved. Ask follow up questions, thanks.

Access wires to ignition switch yellow and red wires should have voltage when key is in crank position, if only red wire does replace Ignition switch.......If good acccess transmission range sensor both purple wires should have voltage with key in crank position, if only one replace. Here is a wire diagram to help, let me know if you run into questions. Thanks.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
are these wires in the steering column
Yes, let me know if you run into questions. Thanks.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
could that by why it wouldn't start when i tried jumping the solenoid
When you jump the solenoid does the engine even turn over?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
couldn't get it to turn over... however when i first connected the wires to the starter they were touching and when i tried connecting the battery it was turning the engine... after i separated the wires and reconnected i got nothing
At the starter check to see if the large wire has voltage at all times......If not the cable, battery, or connections are bad......If it has power and the small wire doesnt have voltage with key in crank position then you will need to test ignition switch. Let me know if you run into questions, thanks.