Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database

2004 Trailblazer Check Gage Light Flickering

Hello. I have a 2004 Trailblazer with just under 90K miles. Just today the Check Gage light switched on then off for a couple of minutes - the only gage that was "wonky" was the oil pressure gage. I checked the oil level and it is OK. Then the Check Gage light went out and never came back on. The oil pressure gage returned to normal. I have heard horror stories about the electrical system on Trailblazers and I am concerned that this is just the tip of the iceberg. Is there any preventative maintenance I can do to see if this is just one little thing or a bunch of things? I am particularly concerned because I drive at night alot and if the electric system goes out, I will not be able to see! Any help would be much appreciated!!
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.

Welcome to JustAnswer, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to help get your problem resolved. Ask follow up questions, thanks.

You likely have a oil pressure switch starting to fail........Its up to you if you want to replace it now or wait to see if it continues to happen....Its a cheap part and a quick fix......If there was a actual oil pressure problem it shouldnt go down and up like that. It it was a electrical problem other then the oil pressure guage itself other symptoms would have happened so I wouldnt be too worried about complete electrical failure. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hey, Dan - thanks for the quck answer. It is easy to get concerned about things starting to wear out at 90K miles - I have been spoiled with this TB - it has been one of the best vehicles that I have had. I have had Fords and Chevys in the past and I really do like this one the best.

Anyway, is the oil pressure switch easy to do myself? If so, is there somewhere I can find how to do it?
Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.

The sensor is right above the oil filter, here is a picture. Let me know if you have questions. Thanks.

graphic

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
OK - I realize that it is on top of the filter, but (dumb question) is the sensor something that you just unplug and plug in a new one?
Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.
Its screws out so you will need to use a socket or wrench "dont know size off the top of my head". Let me know if you have questions, thanks.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok - sounds good. I appreciate your assistance. By the way, in reading other forums on the subject of these sensors, even after replacing the gage still acts goofy - but it won't hurt to give it a try. One more question - do you know how much they cost?
Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.
About $30 from the parts stores......The guage assemblies in these vehicles have alot of problems too but usually effect more then one guage......If problem continues you will need to have a pressure test done to verify oil pressure isnt low, then test wiring between sensor and cluster and replace wire/cluster depending on what is found. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.
Dan, Technician
Experience: Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX you have been very helpful. I appreciate it very much!
Expert:  Dan replied 3 years ago.
I'm happy I could help, let me know if you run into questions. Thanks again.