Bill, Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Certified Master Technician

2007 chevy tahoe: 140k miles..Oil pressure guage drops..warning

Customer Question

2007 Chev Tahoe with 140k miles. Oil pressure guage drops to low and warning sounds. message says stop engine immediately. Relaced oil pressure sensor and changed oil and filter. Didnt solve problem. Usually only happens after driving 3-7miles from cold.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  JOHN aka Eauto replied 5 years ago.
Hi . Thank you for asking your question on JustAnswer. have you mechanically checked oil pressure with a gauge? what weight oil?

Thank you again for trusting us with your problem. John aka eauto
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Valvoline Synthetic oil. The place doing the work for me said that they have not checked with a mechanical guage due to the location it would need to be placed.
it should be may have a weak oil pump or bearing wear.... a thicker oil may help
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

It doesnt sound like oils is low, but hard to tell wth the chimes. It rus well for a while and then drops.

try a heavier weight oil...if that does not help the lower end of the motor will need to be opened up
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
I'm not satisfied with my answer. He asked me more questions and then said try thicker oil... Get real. Refund my deposit and lets part.
Expert:  Bill replied 5 years ago.

Welcome to Just I'm here to help you and your 100% satisfaction is my goal. Please Accept if you are satisfied.

There would need to be some testing done here as there are many things that can cause low oil pressure. One of the more likely in this case would be a restriction of the valve lifter oil manifold (VLOM) filter. The proper procedure would be to install a special tool where the oil filter is and read the pressure there. What we are are looking for is if proper pressure is available at the lower end but only the sensor or VLOM is not receiving it. Has the vehicle been serviced regularly and there is no sludge build up in the system? There can be bearing clearance issues caused by wear, oil pressure valve sticking issues, or issues in the VLOM. You didn't mention any knocking or ticking noises. Are there any?

Thanks. Additional info will help lead to the correct answer.