Dave Nova
Dave Nova, Chevrolet Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Certification. GM World Class Certification
11042942

Chevrolet Equinox LS My check engine light has been on for

Customer Question

My check engine light has been on for a while. Now another light of an engine with an arrow pointing down is coming on & the car will die. It doesn't matter if I am driving, or parked. I let it sit for about 10 or 15 seconds & it will start back up & the engine light will be off for a day or 2. Had it checked & the technician said there were no codes. Then went to AutoZone & employee said it had a P1798 code & it had to do with the transmission. I have 2005 equinox v6 (3.1 i think).
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 3 years ago.

Hello and thank you for using JustAnswer. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you with your Chevy problem.

I can find no P1798 code. There is a P1792 code that has to do with the transmission control module not getting the probler engine temperature information form the engine control computer. The light with the arrow pointing down is the low coolant light. You will need to top off the cooling system, this should fix the problem. Then check to see if there are any coolant leaks on the engine or radiator.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

According to the manual, the light with the arrow pointing down means loss of power. And it definitely loses power. That is when the engine dies. It is just like turning the key off. I think the code was P1798, but it could have been P1789. I didn't write it down. Sorry.

Expert:  Dave Nova replied 3 years ago.
Okay, the P1789 is not a valid code either. If you could go back to Auto zone and have them scan it again, it would be very helpful in giving you a better diagnosis.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I won't be able to do this today. It was of the 2. But the crazy thing is that when I took my car to a service technician, I was told there were no codes. The engine light has been on for months, so I would figure a code should have been in the computer. I was also told that they reset the computer. Of course the light was off when I picked up the vehicle. Drove it about 10 miles, was sitting at an idle at the store, and it died. After starting the car again, the engine light was on. I will let you know once I have a chance to have the light checked again. Thank you for your input.
Expert:  Dave Nova replied 3 years ago.
No problem. I will leave the question open for you, so just let me know when you can. Do not open a new question.