Super Mechanic
Super Mechanic, Master technician
Experience:  29 yrs. exp., ASE master, cert. in G.M. electrical, a/c, susspension, brakes, electronic steering

Chevrolet Impala This morning, my 2008 Impala will not shift

Customer Question

This morning, my 2008 Impala will not shift out of Park. Never done this before. No problem "putting it to bad" last night. It is outdoors in snow and 20 degree weather (it's use to that, though.) What kinds of things can I try?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Super Mechanic replied 5 years ago.

Hello and welcome to Just, Super mechanic here. About your vehicle.

You will want to make sure that the brake lights are working and it's not something simple like a fuse. However, there has been a service bulletin on the BTSI wiring harness for that type of concern, here is what it states,

A/T - Key Cannot Be Removed/No Shift From Park

Bulletin No.: 08-07-30-007B

Date: June 08, 2009

Subject: EI08045 - Key Cannot Be Removed from Ignition with Gear Selector in Park, Shifter Cannot Be Moved from Park Position (Repair/Reroute Brake Transmission Shift Interlock (BTSI) Solenoid Harness)

2007-2009 Chevrolet Impala Supercede:This bulletin is being revised to end the need for information from the field and provide repair information. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 08-07-30-007A (Section 07 - Transmission/Transaxle).

Some customers may comment on either of the following conditions:

- The key cannot be removed from the ignition.
- The transmission gear selector (shifter) cannot be moved out of the PARK position.

This condition may be caused by an incorrectly routed brake transmission shift interlock (BTSI) solenoid harness which can make it difficult to install. In some instances, the wiring looms are tangled, causing stress on the wires in the connector at the BTSI. If the BTSI harness is routed incorrectly, it may also result in a wire pinching issue.

DO NOT use force to move the gear selector (shifter). Using force may cause damage to the BTSI.

Inspection/Routing and Repair of the BTSI Wiring Harness/Connector

1. Check for wire damage at the BTSI connector terminal ends. Refer to SI for repair procedures.
2. For very intermittent issues, check the BTSI wire harness individual circuits for broken or crimped wires. Refer to SI for repair procedures.

BTSI Wiring Harness Incorrectly Routed

3. Inspect the routing of the wiring harness leading to the BTSI connector. The illustrations above show the BTSI harness routed incorrectly.

BTSI Wiring Harness Routed Correctly

4. Reroute the wiring to create available slack and avoid future occurrences.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Examining the BTSI wiring harness is above my abilities. Key inserts, and car starts up normally. All other functions (lights, radio, windows, heat, wipers, etc.) appear okay. Emergency brake applied and released okay. Panel warning about ice (and a low pressure tire.) Steering turns full left & right.

Are we looking at a tow to a GM garage?

That may be unless you can take the top trim panel off and deactivate the BTSI solenoid to where it can be shifted out of park.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Thank you. Looks like that requires tools and a better place to work than my driveway in 15 degree weather. I'll accept your answer.

Take care.

Your welcome and come again, anytime, thanks.