Gary
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech
19513769

2000 impala: brake lights..work still i changed the turn switch

Customer Question

i got a 2000 impala 3.8 brake lights dont work still i changed the turn switch
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.
do the hazards blink the rear lights?do the turn signals blink the rear lights right and left?is this a 2 or 4 door?does the 3rd brake lamp light up?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yes the hazards blink the rear lights . the turn signals work, 4 door, and the 3rd light comes on when i push the brake
Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.
ok using this picture here the connector to the flasher/hazard switch white wire.unplug it and see if you have 12 volts when you step on the brake pedal white wire in terminal Kgraphic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
if it light up what then? if not where to then ?
Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.
if it does NOT light up then the white wire that runs from the drivers side junction box to the switch is open or broken some where.if it DOES light up then we need to see if when you step on the brakes the DARK GREEN wire will light up 12 volts when you step on the brakes.since the 3rd brake light is working we know the brake switch is good and since the signals work and hazards work(they use the same wire and bulb for turn,hazard,brake lights) the problem will be either the white wire into the switch or the switch/hazard assembly
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
the white wire get power and the green wire is on with out me touching the brake
Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.
ok power on the white coming in.can you check the yellow coming out will that light up every time you step on the brakes?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
where is the yellow wire at
Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.
should be on one of the connectors off that switch assembly you replaced.off this connector on the bottom.this is what you replaced correct?graphic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
<p>which yellow wire there is three of them </p><p> </p>
Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.
test all 3 and see if any will light up when you step on the brake
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
all 3 have 13 volts without touching the brakes
Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.
ok.either the hazard is bad(in this picture)or that switch assembly is bad.its one of the 2graphic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the brake lights are working now dont know what i did or touch but they work now

Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.
must have been a bad connection! or a terminal was not all the way in.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
So do I still have to pay you?
Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.
thats up to you.if you feel i was help full click accept if not do not click accept
Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience: 15 years GM master tech
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

i put it back together and it stoped working

Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.
go back to where you were testing the wires and wiggle the connections and see if you can get them to work
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i been trying all day no good
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Do you think it would be a hazard switch
Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.
it very well could be.if the wiring and connections look good it must be the hazard switch
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok all fixed it was the hazard switch. thanks for the help.. how do i leave you possitive feedback
Expert:  Gary replied 3 years ago.
usually will give you an option for feedback somewhere on your box