Neal
Neal, Chevy Mechanic
Experience:  Shop Owner and Mechanic on multiple makes.
17294534

Replacing washer resevior on 2005 Tahoe

Replacing washer resevior on 2005 Tahoe
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Neal replied 3 years ago.
The Chevrolet Tahoe windshield washer reservoir is dual-chambered and supplies washer fluid to the front and rear windshields. Although different engines are available in the Tahoe and Yukon, the procedure to remove and replace the reservoir is similar. Be sure to inspect the hoses and hose connections before replacing the reservoir to ensure they're not the problem.

Difficulty: Moderate
Instructions

Things You'll Need:

Siphon
Empty jug
8-mm box-end wrench
3/8-inch-drive ratchet
3/8-inch-drive 10-inch extension
3/8-inch-drive socket set
Flathead screwdriver
New (or used) direct-fit windshield washer reservoir
1
Use a siphon and an empty jug to suck out any windshield washer fluid from the reservoir and to store the fluid until the reservoir has been replaced.

2
Use an 8-mm box-end wrench to remove the battery terminals from the battery. Remove the positive (red cabled) terminal first, then the negative (black).

3
Locate and remove the battery hold-down nut from the retaining bolt using a ratchet, extension and a 13-mm socket. Remove the hold-down device and then the battery.

4
Locate and remove the battery tray bolts using the ratchet, extension and a socket. Remove the battery tray.

5
Locate and remove the upper windshield reservoir retaining bolt using the ratchet and a socket.

6
Move to the fender well covering the bottom of the reservoir and use a screwdriver to pry out enough wheel-well retaining plugs to access the bottom of the reservoir through the wheel-well. Four or five plugs should suffice. You do not need to remove the entire wheel-well assembly.

7
Locate and remove the lower windshield washer reservoir retaining bolt using the ratchet and a socket.

8
Unplug the wire harness connections of the rear pump (located on the back of the reservoir) and the front pump (on the front of the reservoir). If needed, use the screwdriver to unseat the locking clips of the plugs from the wire harness connections.

9
Locate and remove the fluid level sensor from the reservoir.

10
Locate and remove the front and rear hose connections from the bottom of the reservoir near each pump. These simply pull off, but do it gently. Twist them first to unseat them and then pull them off.

11
Remove the reservoir from the opening of the wheel-well. Remove the connected front and rear pumps and then reinstall the pumps onto the new reservoir.

12
Reinsert the new reservoir into place from the wheel-well and then reassemble by reversing the procedure. Fill and test the reservoir after replacing the battery to ensure it is working properly and not leaking.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
How do I access the wire harness in step 8.
Expert:  Neal replied 3 years ago.
Move the fender well covering the bottom of the reservoir and use a screwdriver to pry out enough wheel-well retaining plugs to access the bottom of the reservoir through the wheel-well. Four or five plugs should suffice. You do not need to remove the entire wheel-well assembly. Moving the fender well aside a little should allow access.
Neal, Chevy Mechanic
Experience: Shop Owner and Mechanic on multiple makes.