Randall C
Randall C, ASE Master Tech
Experience:  ASE Master, L1, 32 years, Diagnostic / Electrical Specialist
13677702

2002 silverado..a few minutes and it will start then die a few seconds

my 2002 silverado died while driving. i let it sit for a few minutes and it will start then die a few seconds later. is it a fuel pump problem
Hello, My name isXXXXX will do my best to assist you with your question

So where are you at with it now? it will start and run but then shutoff? wait few minutes and it does the same? do you have a security light on or flashing when this happens
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

no security light comes on. it will turn over and fire, then slowly die.

Thanks. I think the clue hear is waht you just wrote, slowly die. The security system does control the fuel injectors and will turn them off after a few seconds after startup for antitheft but.. you do not have the light and.. you said died on the road. Now.. if you want to help confirm, you can get a can of carb cleaner and gently spray some in the throttle body JUST as it is ready to cutoff. If the engine flares back up, slowly starts to die, then hit it agian with spray and it revs? then yes, i would suspect the pump is failing or has failed obviously:( Each time you turn the key to run, the pump is hit with a hard 12 volts. the pump is firing tillit trys to high speed spin the shuts off. This is not uncommon. I cant rule out something else but to confirm, you should try what I suggested OR buy or rent a fuel pressure guage to hook to engine and see what the pressure is doing when it stalls/ Sure am leaning to fuel pump at this time