GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 11 years experience.
10949255

2003 chevy silverado 2500: fine today..no reason it wont go in reverse

Customer Question

i have a gas 2003 chevy silverado 2500hd transmission been workig fine today for no reason it wont go in reverse
Category: Chevy
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 3 years ago.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Welcome

GM Tech (Cam) :

We are in a live chat window now.

Customer :

i have a 2003 chevy silverado 2500hd tranmission been working find today for no reason it wont go in reverse can you help

GM Tech (Cam) :

I hope to help you, yes. What is the colour of the transmissoin fluid?

Customer :

i dont know i just had the transmission fluid change so im thinking red

GM Tech (Cam) :

OK, pull the connector off the transmission, the round gray one. If the transmission does not go into reverse then you have a band or valve body issue as reverse is a hydraulic default, meaning it works with no electronics.

Customer :

if i pull the valve and it goes into reverse can i run the truck this way

Customer :

i plow with the truck and today i got stuck and put in low range and then after that i backed up it was fine and they later on it stop reverse.. does this make sense

GM Tech (Cam) :

The plug you mean, you will only have 2nd gear forward so only for a limp in mode .

GM Tech (Cam) :

.It does not sound good to be honest.

GM Tech (Cam) :

Did changing to 4wd change it at all/

Customer :

no it didnt help

Customer :

so if it does go in reverse when i pull the connector then what is the fix to that

GM Tech (Cam) :

It likely means internal transmission repairs.

Customer :

and if it dosnt go in reverse??

GM Tech (Cam) :

Sorry, if it goes into reverse if could be a valve body, wiring or solenoid issue.

GM Tech (Cam) :

If it does not go into reverse then the servo or band are likely bad.

Customer :

how much does that usually run to fix

GM Tech (Cam) :

anywhere from(NNN) NNN-NNNNis my guess with out looking.

Customer :

for 3000 i can get a new transmission is the whole transmission the problem

GM Tech (Cam) :

No, but sometimes a replacement with warranty is a better deal.

Customer :

if its the band or servo do they have to take the transmission out

GM Tech (Cam) :

Yes, for the servo, no, the band yes.