ZZDaryl
ZZDaryl, Chevy Technician
Experience:  28 year experience, Master Mechanic

2007 Chevrolet: Equinox..engine power..My vehicle stalled on me

Customer Question

I have a 2007 Chevrolet Equinox. The Engine light is on, the stabilitrak light is on saying it is off, and I received a "reduced engine power" message . My vehicle stalled on me twice on my way home. I have checked online and found that there are several people who have had this problem nearly causing accidents when the vehicle stalls. What is this problem, why hasn't there been a recall, and is it an easy or expensive fix? My vehicle's warranty has expired because I purchased brand new off the floor in December 2006 and it now has 58,000 miles. Can a dealership choose to fix a vehicle if it is still close to the warranty mileage?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  ZZDaryl replied 3 years ago.
These have a lot of problems with the throttle body causing this problem but there really is no way to be sure without having the codes read in the computer, the stabilitrak is automatically turned off when there is a engine running problem so that is not really a issue. There is no type of recall for this that I have seen yet as for the dealer fixing this because it is close to the warranty I would not count on it, with the problems that GM was having they pretty much do not do that anymore like they used to but it is worth asking at your local dealer.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
There are too many instances of this occurring in this and other models of GM vehicles to provide such a vague answer. I need to know what I will be getting into when I go to the dealership. What type of possible scenarios, what type of possible price. Most people I've seen with this problem have had to go back to the dealership because they fix what they think is the problem only to have it occur again. I don't want that issue so I need a better answer please.
Expert:  ZZDaryl replied 3 years ago.
If you would like a better more specific answer I will need to know what code is causing the problem, many auto parts stores will read the codes for free so I guess that is the place you will need to start, get the code and I can give a very specific answer to the problem.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I took my truck to get the oil changed and they did a free scan which did indeed come up to be the throttle body. What is the throttle body, how important is it to have it replaced and what is the approximate cost to repair or replace one?

Thanks.

Expert:  ZZDaryl replied 3 years ago.
The throttle body is very important and eventually will make the vehicle undriveable when the problem gets worse. I do not have pricing here in from of me but I would estimate the cost to get it replaced to be in the $450.00 range.
ZZDaryl, Chevy Technician
Experience: 28 year experience, Master Mechanic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you so much. Now that's what I'm talking about! VERY thorough with your answer and your answer was CORRECT! You knew what it was BEFORE I got the diagnostic test! When I did get the test it was just as you said!

You're definitely an Expert and know what you're talking about!

Thanks

Expert:  ZZDaryl replied 3 years ago.
Thank you and good luck with the repair.