John, Master A.S.E Automotive technician
Experience:  A.S.E MasterTechnician A1-A8 w/L1,38 years experience General Motors Master Technician

98 cadillac seville sts: brake lights work..trunk..fuses..doesnt work

John all the brake lights work on my 98 cadillac seville sts and license plate lights work, but my LED light bar across the trunk doesn't have electric. I have check the fuses that I know of and I put a new LED light bar in and I know it works, but when I plugged it in it doesn't work.

Hello & Welcome to JA,

The power to this light bar comes from a stop lamp fuse under the rear seat. If the other stop lamps work I would suspect an open circuit at C421 leg of the circuit.

Center high mounted stop lamp (CHMSL) harness to body harness, center rear of the rear compartment on the rear compartment lid / C421.

S422 located

Rear compartment lid harness, rear compartment approximately 28 cm (11 in) from the high mounted stop lamps.

Check for voltage at these places when brakes are applied.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
John is this light bar a brake light that comes on only when the brakes are applied, or is it a running light that stays on?

The center high mounted stop lamp (CHMSL) is located along the rear compartment lid. The CHMSL operates simultaneously with the rear stop lamps and provides increased visibility of vehicle braking.