GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.

Chevrolet K1500 4x4 How do I test the 4wd actuator on my 1996

How do I test the 4wd actuator on my 1996 Chevy Silverado? How do I replace it?

GM Tech (Cam) :

GM Tech (Cam) :

We are in a live chat window now.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
hello. sorry i am not online. Do you need more information?

Is your actuator the 2 wire or 4 wire actuator? It is in the front axle tube, passengers side. It threads out. YOu can test by taking it out and leaving the actuator plugged in, then tunring the key on and putting in 4wd.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The actuator itself has 2 wires. There is another sensor mounted next to the actuator in the axle tube, which has another 2 wires, both of the 2-wire harness connectors are mounted next to each other on the same stud.
I would like to make sure the actuator is getting the power before replacing it, is there a way to test the voltage at the actuator? This would mean that if I was getting power at the actuator but it wasn't working, then that would obviously be the problem. But I'd like to be sure there isn't a wiring problem first even though I've done a visual inspection.

Ok, the actuator you have is a 2 wire thermal actuator. IT extends when the wax in there heats up.

First see if the 4wd or tcase fuse is bad. OFten when the actuator failes, it pops that fuse. Otherwise if you have a test light, put it in 4wd and test for power on the wires to the actautor.