kalamykid
kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech
Experience:  I HAVE OWNED MY OWN SHOP FOR OVER THREE YEARS. I HAVE THE TOOLS AND SOFTWARE TO ANSWERE ALMOST ANY Q
5629372

1995 chevy S10: ignition module..the crank sensor with an ohm meter

I have a 1995 chevy S10 with a 2.2 engine. The ignition is dead. I have power to the ignition module and checked the crank sensor with an ohm meter and it seems to be ok. I then replaced the ignition module and it still will not fire. What else could possibly be wrong???
Category: Chevy
Expert:  kalamykid replied 3 years ago.

kalamykid :

DO you have a digital volt meter to do some testing with?

Customer:

Yes

kalamykid :

So the engine will spin over but will not start correct?

kalamykid :

This is a s15 sonoma dorrect?

Customer:

That is correct, The engine spins over, the ignition module has 12 volts on the proper terminal when the key switch is in the run position.

Customer:

A s10 pick up with a 2.2 4 cy

kalamykid :

Does your key have a chip in it?

Customer:

No it dies not

Customer:

"Does not" (spelling)

kalamykid :

DO you have a test ligh?

kalamykid :

That is ok I willmake many misstakes in my typing to.

Customer:

I can get one, what should I do

kalamykid :

Fisrt thing i need youto do is turn the ignition switch to the run position and tellme if the check engine light comes on.

Customer:

OK Give me a minute

Customer:

Yes the SERVICE ENGINE SOON light comes on as normal when the key is in the run position

kalamykid :

Have you checked the fuses tomake sure none of them are blown and have 12 volts to both sides of them with the switch ion the run position?

Customer:

I assume you are talking about the ignition fuse. Yes it has 12 volts all the way to the ignition module

kalamykid :

No I need you to test all the fuses in the fuse box.

kalamykid :

Let me know if any of them do not have 12 volts to both sides of the fuses

Customer:

When this problem firs occured I did that, I will do it again. Is there any fuses I should pay particular attention to since obviously the dome light fuse should not make a difference etc.

kalamykid :

I realy need to know if any of them do not have power so I know where to go next.

kalamykid :

Even the dome light fuse is important at this point

Customer:

Ok will do

kalamykid :

ty

Customer:

I checked all the fuses and all have power on both sides except one that says ILUM. and one that says CRANK

kalamykid :

opk that is good.

Customer:

The one that says crank has no power on either terminal

kalamykid :

You will need a test light for the next test.

kalamykid :

Just a regular testlight like this one

Customer:

OK what do I do

kalamykid :

Full Size Image

Customer:

When you say a test light do I assume you do not mean a timeing light but rather a simple light to check for power in a wire

kalamykid :

yes i posted one so you could see what i mean

Customer:

My digital meter has a sharp probe end and I can detect power in any wire with that. will that work or are we looking for flashing pulses from the crank sensor?

kalamykid :

you need a test light as we will look for a puls from the ignition module and the injectors.

kalamykid :

You will also need a paper clip

Customer:

Will any test light that detects 12 volts work? Hate to keep pestering you about this.

kalamykid :

Do not use the sharppoint of your tester to pierce the wires to test them

kalamykid :

no

kalamykid :

It must be just a plain jane test light, no circuit boards

Customer:

Ok just checking to see if I could use what I have. I will get a test light. Can you tell me the first thing you want me to test is?

kalamykid :

i need to know if you get a puls flash at the test light when you test the white wire at the module.

kalamykid :

Use your paper clip to test it

kalamykid :

Slide the paper clip down the side of the wire at the plug so the paper clip will contact the conector inside the plug

kalamykid :

Then touch your test light to the paper clip

Customer:

Do I unplug the module and then crank the engine over while i have a paper clip in the plug ?

kalamykid :

no leave the plug connected.

Customer:

OK

Customer:

I will need to run and get a light, I may not be able to get one today. will you be available tomorrow?

Customer:

I just called and I can have one in 15 min. I can check it ASAP

kalamykid :

ok

kalamykid :

If you can not get back I will be back on around 11 am eastern time

Customer:

Thanks alot

Customer:

I was able to find the problem with no further troubleshooting. I purchased a test light like you suggested and used it to double check the main power source wire where it plugs into the ignition module. Even though it tests 12 volts when the ignition key is in the run position, when using the test light it was very dim. I then checked the voltage with the load of the test light on the power wire and the voltage dropped to 3 volts. Apparently the wire had a bad connection and shows low voltage when a load is applied. I ran a new wire from the firewall wire bundle just after it comes from the fuse box all the way to the plug on the ignition module and the truck is now running fine. All in all you insisting that I get a test light allowed me to fix the problem and I really appreciate it.

kalamykid, Shop Owner/ Tech
Experience: I HAVE OWNED MY OWN SHOP FOR OVER THREE YEARS. I HAVE THE TOOLS AND SOFTWARE TO ANSWERE ALMOST ANY Q