Bill
Bill, Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Certified Master Technician

2000 Chevrolet: Silverado..jump..tight turns while in 4WD

What causes my 2000 Chevrolet 2500 Silverado 4WD to grab and skip and jump when making tight turns while in 4WD?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

Is this something that just started, or has it been going on for awhile?

Any noise associated with this, and if so, what type of noise?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
It has done this for several months, but I do not you the 4WD very much, and I do not notice any particular noise, except when it is turning there is some noise but mostly seems to be tire noise, when it grabs.
Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

4wd puts more torque on drivetrain when turning slow, which consequently puts more stress on steering components. This is usually a case of the steering gear binding on the turns. You can first try to flush the power steering system, and if no improvement, then replace or overhaul the steering gear.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Answer quality.
It seems a dubious answer.
Expert:  Bill replied 3 years ago.

Welcome to Just Answer.com. I'm here to help you and your 100% satisfaction is my goal. Please Accept if you are satisfied.

Hello,Just so I understand ,you are making tight turns on pavement while in four wheel drive? This vehicle is equipped with four wheel drive (not all wheel drive system which has a viscous clutch in the transfer case) and you have a 3 or 4 button controller... correct?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes, it is most evident on dry pavement, but feel a little on snow or ice. Yes it is equipped with a four position lever on the floor board just to the right of the acceleratior and left of the transmission shift handle.
Expert:  Bill replied 3 years ago.

This is perfectly normal. The reason you are experiencing this is that on all wheel drive vehicles there is a viscous clutch in the transfer case that allows the two drive shafts to spin at different speeds as the vehicle is turned sharply at low speeds. You have a manual system. There is no clutch. In other words the front and rear drive shafts are turning at the same speed. When turning sharply at low speeds all four wheels are rotating at different speeds .i.e the rear wheels are turning slower than the front wheels. Especially the inboard rear wheel. When you do this when locked in four wheel drive you are causing the two driveshafts to bind against each other causing the wheel hop and binding you are referring to. This can happen on all wheel drive vehicles as well if the transfer case clutches bind which is almost always repaired with simply a fluid change and possibly a friction modifyer. Your vehicle doesn't have that clutch. The four wheel drive system should simply only be engaged in low traction condtions when wheel slippage can occur and not bind the transfer case.

If you have further questions about this please just ask away :)

Bill

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Are you saying that I need not worry about this? What about the fact that on several occasions, I have heard a loud pop, which I remember it doing at least twice? In my original question I forgot to mention this noise.
Expert:  Bill replied 3 years ago.

If it only does it on dry pavement when in four wheel drive on sharp turns this may sound like a simple answer but the answer is simply don't do that. (smile) The wheels and therefore driveshafts, must turn at different speeds and the driveline you have in your vehicle simply cannot do that. This will cause a severe bind in the driveline and will put excessive stress on the components. The noise you heard was likely the excessive energy stored by the bind in the transfer case releasing. We're talking a 2500 series heavy duty truck which is quite heavy and again... the four wheel drive system should not be engaged on dry pavement. Only when off road or in snow/ice conditions where wheel slippage can occur which will equalize the driveline.

Bill

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Well, I understand that there is some truth to what you are saying, but this is a problem that did not occur (or if it did,was very mild), when the vehicle was newer. It has gotten much worse.
Expert:  Bill replied 3 years ago.
It can change depending on the tires on the vehicle/traction and road conditions but again it is simply not possible for the two driveshafts to turn at different speeds without binding the driveline and causing noises, tire hop, etc. The four wheel drive system should never be engaged under those conditions. You can damage the transfer case, drive axles or differential if you do.
Bill, Chevy Technician
Experience: GM Certified Master Technician
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I drove my first 4WD in 1945 or 1946. It was a pretty primitive machine.(Dodge 1 1/2 ton Power Wagon and it did not have a major problem in this way. Neither did small jeeps of the era of late forties-early fifties. I have had a number of Chevrolet PUs since then and did not have a major problen and they saw a lot of hard use. Oh well.
Expert:  Bill replied 3 years ago.

Again.. this is not a problem. The vehicle should be in two wheel drive mode unless off road conditions require four wheel drive. Simply do not engage the four wheel drive system on dry pavement or high traction conditions. There is no need to and it can damage the driveline components.

Cheers!

Bill

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Where do you live ? in Florida? When there is patchy ice and snow with some dry pavement there can be many times when for saftey sake 4WD is desireable and you will turn on some dry pavement. As I said, oh well.