Dan, Technician
Experience:  Independent Shop Experience, 2 Year Automotive Diploma, & Access to Information Database
17871496

2002 chevy cavalier: spark..4 cylinder automatic)...what

no spark 2002 chevy cavalier (4 cylinder automatic)...what could be the issue?

Welcome to JustAnswer, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I'm here to help get your problem resolved. Ask follow up questions, thanks.

2.2 or 2.4 engine?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
2.2
This vehicle has alot of problems with ignition switch. At the ignition module check the Pink wire for 12 volts key on and during cranking. Check the Black wire for chassis ground. If losing power on the Pink wire at the ignition module, then go to the ignition switch and check the Pink wire coming from it for loss of voltage also.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
where exactly is the ignition module?
The ignition module is located under the coil packs. Let me know if you run into questions, thanks.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
can I unplug the module to check the wires?
I tried the pink with it unplugged and ignition on also during cranking...did not have 12v with it unplugged.
Unplugged is fine....So time to test ignition switch, sounds like the switch has failed like I suspected. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
OK, maybe I was testing the wrong wires.
on the ignigtion module I was testing the pink wire with black stripe (there are 3 wires on this plug) and I think I should have been testing the 2 wire plug (one faded pink wire and one black wire)...if these two are the correct wires, everything checks out.

what next?
Plug connector in and backprobe the wire with a paperclip to verify your getting voltage while cranking. If so test crankshaft position sensor. The cranksensor should put out AC voltage while cranking, if not replace. Or you can uUse a lab scope or try to use voltmeter and probe the Purple/White wire at the module and check for a 5 volt square wave while cranking. Check that Purple/White wire for an open or short back to the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) on the Blue connector pin 8. If both are good replace ignition module.......If purple/white wire doesnt vary voltage then you need to test crank sensor. Let me know if you run into questions, thanks.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
yep, getting voltage with ign mod plugged in...key on and while cranking.
where exactly is the crankshaft position sensor?
The crank sensor is located off the side of the oil filter. Let me know if you have questions, thanks.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
ok, problem solved...looks like a rabbit or something chewed through the wires...also on the 3 wire scensor next to it (grey connector)...what sensor would that be?
That is the camshaft position sensor. I'm happy to hear problem is solved. Let me know if you need anything. Thanks.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Dan, thanks for your help...
No problem, thank you for accept.