Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.

2000 blazer: replace my my radio is locked..i unlock it

i had to replace my battery in my 2000 blazer and now my radio is locked. how can i unlock it

you must have the code for your system if not,,the dealer will need to unlock it.a dealer may charge $60+/-..if you have your code..follow the steps below

General Information

The THEFTLOCK system is designed in order to discourage theft of the radio. The system uses a secret code in order to disable all radio functions whenever battery power is removed. The THEFTLOCK feature for the radio may be used or ignored. If the feature is ignored, the system plays normally and is not protected by the feature. When THEFTLOCK is activated, the radio displays LOC in order to indicate a locked condition any time battery power is removed. When the battery loses power for any reason, you must unlock the radio with the secret code in order for the radio to operate

Unlocking the Theft Deterrent Feature After A Lock-Up

Use the following procedure in order to unlock the theft deterrent feature:

IMPORTANT: Do not allow more than 15 seconds to lapse between steps.

1. Turn the ignition to the ON position. LOC will appear.
  2. Press MN and 000 will appear on the display.
  3. Press MN again in order to make the last 2 digits agree with the code.
  4. Press HR in order to make the first 1 or 2 digits agree with your code.
  5. Press AM-FM after you have confirmed that the code matches the secret code.

The display will show SEC. The radio is now operable and secure. If the incorrect code is entered 8 times, INOP displays. In order to reenter the code, you must wait 1 hour with the ignition ON. When you try again, you will have 3 chances to enter the code before INOP displays.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
unless the code is in the handbook that came with the car then i dont have it. i just got this car 4 months ago.
thanks for your help. i guess i wont have a radio for awhile cause 60 + is alot to pay a dealer.

look at the hand book.and through papers in the dash..allot of times people will write it on the manual.....sorry

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
thankyou for all your help and happy new years