ZZDaryl
ZZDaryl, Chevy Technician
Experience:  28 year experience, Master Mechanic

S10: rearend..POSI or Limited Slip

Customer Question

What kind of rearend does a stock 03 S10 Xtreem have, POSI or Limited Slip?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  ZZDaryl replied 3 years ago.
It would have a "limited slip" there is not such thing as a stock true POSI traction differential, a differential locker is the closest thing to a POSI unless someone welds the gears to make a POSI.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
ok so if it has a limited slip then which way should the tires spin when you have the rearend in the air? should the tires move in oposeing directions when you spin one tire?
Expert:  ZZDaryl replied 3 years ago.

The limited slip works on torque so spinning the wheel really is not a good way to tell you would actually need to look inside to see if the limited slip assembly is there. But in most cases both of the rear tires should go in the same direction is there is a limited slip and the trans is in neutral.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
yeah the truck was in nutrual when I did that but I don't know what the rearend is exactly, thats why I was asking. All the data tags were removed when I bought the truck and their was no owners manual with it either. All I know is when I try to do burn outs the rearend one-legs it, and when the rearend is in the air and the trans is in neutral and you spin a tire the other one moves in the opposit direction.
I have a few more questions for you too after this.
Expert:  ZZDaryl replied 3 years ago.
Most of the Extremes had the limited slip and if the one tire comes in after a short time spinning this most likely has a limited slip.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Ok
My next question is after I changed the fuel pump on my truck my service engine light came on. I had a OBD tool hooked up and it said something about bay 1 and bay 2 rich. I had the codes cleard and it hasnt come back yet but I only drove it 10 miles so far since. Why would the engine start running rich after that and if it comes back what should I look into as far as fixing that issue goes?
Expert:  ZZDaryl replied 3 years ago.
Why was the fuel pump changed to begin with?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I tryed to start the truck and it wouldnt start, and when I first turned the key I didnt hear the pump kick on, so I checked the fuel pump realay and it was fine, and I also check to make sure the relay was getting power and that checked out, so I replaced the pump. It fixed the problem and the truck is running. I just had that code pop up shortly afterward so I was wondering why it did that and if it comes back how I should go about troubleshooting that issue. FYI, I did double check the vent and fuel lines, filler cap and goose neck and everything looked tight and when I filled up the tank their was no leak.
Expert:  ZZDaryl replied 3 years ago.
More than likely if the rich codes come back the problem is one of two things, a bad coolant temp sensor or a leaking injection system, the coolant temp sensor would need to be checked using a scan tool that shows data, the injection system would need to be visually inspected for leaks.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
What data should I be looking for as far as the coolant temp sensor goes, and I dont see any leaks? Basicly what is the norm and what is not the norm?
Expert:  ZZDaryl replied 3 years ago.
If you have a scan tool you can actually look at the temp if the coolant temp sensor is sending to the computer, if it is sending a much different temp than the engine is the sensor is bad, this is easiest checked when the engine is cold that way the engine temp should be the actual air temp and you should be able to watch it increase as the engine warms up. As for a leak either there is or is not you will want to pay close attention to the regulator they often will leak out where a vacuum hose would attach but this system does not use a vacuum hose.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I got ya
Last question, is it true that a camaro rearend will bolt up to my truck? I know you have to weld on some plates to make up for the diffrent suspension, but over all will it fit under the truck and bolt up to the drive shaft?
Expert:  ZZDaryl replied 3 years ago.
Sorry but that is one question that I really can not answer, I really am not into the retro fit kind of things but I am sure there are forums out there that can tell you if that is possible or not. Although I would suspect that to be true if the width is correct, the connection at the differential to the shaft should be the same, if not there is probably a universal that can be changed to make it work.
ZZDaryl, Chevy Technician
Experience: 28 year experience, Master Mechanic
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Okay thanks for the help, I apprceate it!
Expert:  ZZDaryl replied 3 years ago.
Thank you and have a Happy New Year