Ron Z.
Ron Z., - Chevy Tech -
Experience:  18+yrs experience. State Inspector and Chevy Diagnostics
18617752

My 2003 silverado air bag light comes

my 2003 silverado air bag light comes on and off saying service air bag system
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Ron Z. replied 5 years ago.
When the air bag light comes on, this means there is a problem in the restrain system. Unfortunately, there are several sensors/parts that are monitored in the air bag system from an air bag sensor, to a problem in the seat belts and there is no way of knowing "where" the fault lies until you get the "codes" read. You will need to find a shop that has a scan-tool that can read air bag codes, as most local "free" scans or "personal" scanners do not read air bag codes. Most shops charge anywhere from $40 - $65 for this service, but, like I say, it is the only way to know "for sure' where the problem lies, and where to start your diagnostic and repair process.