Matt J
Matt J, Chevy Technician
Experience:  10+ years automotive tech, 5 years of experience in a GM dealer

My 4wd went out blowing fuses ATC unpluged actuator..blew

my 4wd went out blowing fuses ATC unpluged actuator and still does it. put tinfoil in fuse and works fine. got it back in 4wd and took out tinfoil and put fuse back in worked for a while the blew fuse. now tinfoil is back in and working great. what is shorting?
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Matt J replied 5 years ago.

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be more than happy to assist you.

The actuator you unpluged was that the actuator on the front axle or the shift motor on the transfer case?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
the front axle
Expert:  Matt J replied 5 years ago.

The front axle actuator does not get its power from that fuse.

Only the Transfer Case Control Module and the Transfer Case Encoder Motor on the Transfer Case get power from the ATC fuse.

Does it just blow the fuse with out hitting the 4x4 button or does it blow only when you shift in and out ofXXXXX

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
when the key is turned on
Expert:  Matt J replied 5 years ago.

Unhook the encoder motor on the transfer case and see if the fuse blows

The encoder motor is located on the left side of the transfer case next to the front drive shaft.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
i am not sure what the encoder motor is. I unpluged the plug that was on the left of the front drive shaft were it comes out of the transfer case i think that is the one you are talking about. when i did that i turned the key on and took the ATC fuse out and it did not blow. pluged it back in and put fuse in and out a couple of times to hear the motors fire and blew fuse again. put new fuse in and it works until it blows again.
Expert:  Matt J replied 5 years ago.
If the fuse did not blow with the Encoder Motor unpluged then the Encoder Motor is bad and will need to be replaced.