GM Tech (Cam)
GM Tech (Cam), Chevy Technician
Experience:  GM Grand Master Technician 2007. 14 years experience.

my 1998 chevy S10 security light on dash flashing vehicle cranks

Customer Question

my 1998 chevy S10 security light on dash flashing vehicle cranks but does not stay running.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Neal replied 5 years ago.
Disconnect the battery for 30 minutes and the security system should reset.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Replaced DRL relay already disconnected battery, but will do again. Main alarm was removed and all was ok until now. I have door pop soildoid. all the components to door locks are disconnected. Disconnect both negative and positive?
Expert:  Neal replied 5 years ago.
Disconnect the neg for 30 min. I hope it will reset and that some of your other components are not triggering the security system.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Still not working. What else can I do.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
What is the bcm and where is it located. Can I start the truck without the negative being connected? What other components could be the problem?
Expert:  Neal replied 5 years ago.
The BCM is the body control module, I am going to opt out and see if someone who specializes in electrical can help you.
Expert:  GM Tech (Cam) replied 5 years ago.

Welcome, and thanks for using Just Answer. I am Cam, and I will do my best to assist you. When you are finished please click on accept only if you are satisfied. I don't get paid unless you do.Please do not accept if you cannot leave positive feedback. I don't know if you are a tech or a just working on your own vehicle so we may have to fine tune the answer. I only know as much about your problem as you have told me in your post, so my answers will be based on what you tell me so please add all the details you can. About your vehicle,

This sounds like the typical issue with the security. Most simply bypass it now. is the unit I use.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

According to the person that I bought it from the security system was already removed. How can I check to see if this is true or not. Where is the bcm located and what does it look like. I am not a mechanic but have limited knowledge of my own cars.

The BCM is to the right of the steering column under the dash almost under the heater control.

It will be a black box with 2 or 3 connectors.

Edited by GM Tech (Cam) on 12/27/2010 at 8:55 PM EST