Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience:  20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.
3195632

2005 chevy suburban: 5.3 liter..me that the oil pump is on the front

I need the procedure to remove the oil pump for a 2005 chevy suburban 5.3 liter. looks to me that the oil pump is on the front on the motor. on the crank.
Category: Chevy
Expert:  Eric replied 3 years ago.

Ok, the front cover and the oil pan need to come off if replacing the oil pump and oil pump pickup tube and screen:

FRONT COVER:

1. Drain the cooling system.
  2. Remove or disconnect the following:

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Front cover and gasket-4.8L, 5.3L, 6.0L and 6.2L engines

Negative battery cable
    Water pump
    Crankshaft balancer from the crankshaft
    Front cover bolts
    Front cover and gasket. Discard the front cover gasket.
    Crankshaft front oil seal from the cover

To install:

NOTE
Do not lubricate the oil seal sealing surface.

1. Lubricate the outer edge of the oil seal with clean engine oil. Lubricate the front cover oil seal bore with clean engine oil.
  2. Install the crankshaft front oil seal with an installer.
    NOTE
    Do not apply any type of sealant to the front cover gasket (unless specified). Special tools are used to properly align the engine front cover at the oil pan surface and to center the crankshaft front oil seal.

3. Install the front cover gasket, cover, and bolts onto the engine. Tighten the cover bolts finger-tight. Do not over tighten.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. J41480 installation-4.8L, 5.3L, 6.0L and 6.2L engines

4. Start the J41480 tool-to-front cover bolts. Don-t tighten the bolts yet.
    NOTE
    Align the tapered legs of the tool with the machined alignment surfaces on the front cover.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Seal alignment tool installation-4.8L, 5.3L, 6.0L and 6.2L engines

5. Install tool J41476 . Install the crankshaft balancer bolt. Tighten the crankshaft balancer bolt by hand until snug. Do not over tighten. Tighten the J41480 bolts and front cover bolts to 18 ft. lbs. (25 Nm).
  6. Remove the tools.
  7. Install the used crankshaft balancer bolt and tighten to 240 ft. lbs. (330 Nm).
  8. Remove the used bolt.
    NOTE
    The nose of the crankshaft should be recessed 0.094-0.176 in (2.4-4.48 mm) into the balancer bore.

9. Install a NEW crankshaft balancer bolt and tighten to 37 ft. lbs. (50 Nm), then tighten an additional 140 degrees.
  10. Place a straight edge across the engine block and front cover oil pan sealing surfaces. Avoid contact with the portion of the gasket that protrudes into the oil pan surface. Insert a feeler gauge between the front cover and the straight edge tool. The cover must be flush with the oil pan surface or no more than 0.02 in. (0.5mm) below flush. If the front cover-to-engine block oil pan surface alignment is not within specifications, repeat the cover alignment procedure. If the correct front cover-to-engine block alignment cannot be obtained, replace the front cover.
  11. Snug the oil pan-to-cover bolts in order to position the cover at the pan rail.
  12. Tighten the oil pan-to-front cover bolts to 18 ft. lbs. (25 Nm).
  13. Tighten the front cover bolts to 18 ft. lbs. (25 Nm).
  14. Install the water pump.

OIL PAN:

The original oil pan gasket is retained and aligned to the oil pan by rivets. When installing a new gasket, it is not necessary to install new rivets. DO NOT reuse the oil pan gasket. When installing the oil pan, install a NEW oil pan gasket.

1. Remove or disconnect the following:

Negative battery cable
    Front differential if equipped with four wheel drive
    Under body shield from the vehicle
    Oil pan shield

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Oil pan shield-4.8L, 5.3L and 6.0L engines

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Cross brace-4.8L, 5.3L and 6.0L engines

Cross brace if equipped
    Engine oil and filter
    Transmission-to-oil pan bolts
    Oil level sensor electrical connector
    Two front wiring harness retainer bolts
    Engine wiring harness retainer bolts from the engine oil pan
    Engine oil cooler pipe-to-oil pan bolt
    Transmission oil cooler pipe retainer and the bolt from the oil pan
    Closeout covers and bolts (one each side of engine)
    Engine mount bolts each side
    Oil pan

To install:

NOTE
The alignment of the structural oil pan is critical. The rear bolt hole locations of the oil pan provide mounting points for the transmission bell housing. To ensure the rigidity of the powertrain and correct transmission alignment, it is important that the rear of the block and the rear of the oil pan must NEVER protrude beyond the engine block and transmission bell housing plane.

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Apply sealant at these points at the front of the block-4.8L, 5.3L and 6.0L engines

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Apply sealant at these points at the rear of the block-4.8L, 5.3L and 6.0L engines

1. Apply a 0.20 in. (5mm) bead of sealant GM P/N 12378190 or equivalent 0.8 in. (20mm) long to the engine block. Apply the sealant directly onto the tabs of the front cover gasket that protrudes into the oil pan surface.
    NOTE
    Be sure to align the oil gallery passages in the oil pan and engine block properly with the oil pan gasket.

2. Pre-assemble the oil pan gasket to the pan. Install the oil pan bolts to the pan through the gasket.
  3. Install or connect the following:

Oil pan gasket
    Oil pan
    Oil pan bolts, finger-tight. Do not over tighten.
    Two lower bell housing bolts to position the oil pan correctly

4. Snug the lower bell housing bolt finger-tight. Do not over tighten. Tighten the oil pan-to-block and oil pan-to-oil pan front cover bolts to 18 ft. lbs. (25 Nm). Tighten the oil pan-to-rear cover bolts to 106 inch lbs. (12 Nm). Tighten the bell housing bolts to 37 ft. lbs. (50 Nm).

Transmission oil cooler pipe retainer and the bolt to the oil pan
    Engine oil cooler pipe-to-oil pan bolt and tighten to 89 inch lbs. (10 Nm)
    Engine wiring harness retainer bolts to the engine oil pan
    Oil level sensor electrical connector
    Transmission-to-oil pan bolts and tighten to 41 ft. lbs. (55 Nm)
    Front differential, if equipped with four wheel drive
    Underbody shield

5. Lower the vehicle. Fill the engine with oil and install the engine oil filter.
  6. Connect the negative battery cable.

OIL PUMP:

1. Remove or disconnect the following:
    NOTE
    Do not allow dirt or debris to enter the oil pump assembly, cap ends as necessary.

NOTE
    The internal parts of the oil pump assembly are not serviced separately (excluding the spring). If the oil pump components are worn or damaged, replace the oil pump as an assembly. Do not attempt to repair the wire mesh portion of the pump and screen assembly.

Engine front cover

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Oil pump removal-4.8L, 5.3L and 6.0L engines

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Oil pump disassembly-4.8L, 5.3L and 6.0L engines

Oil pan
    Oil pump screen bolt and nuts
    Oil pump screen with O-ring seal.
    O-ring seal from the pump screen. Discard the O-ring seal.
    Remaining crankshaft oil deflector nuts.
    Crankshaft oil deflector
    Oil pump bolts

Oil pump

To install:

NOTE
Inspect the oil pump and engine block oil gallery passages. These surfaces must be clear and free of debris or restrictions.

1. Align the splined surfaces of the crankshaft sprocket and the oil pump drive gear and install the oil pump. Install the oil pump onto the crankshaft sprocket until the pump housing contacts the face of the engine block.
  2. Install or connect the following:
    NOTE
    Lubricate a NEW oil pump screen O-ring seal with clean engine oil.

NOTE
    Push the oil pump screen tube completely into the oil pump prior to tightening the bolt. Do not allow the bolt to pull the tube into the pump.

Oil pump bolts. Tighten the oil pump bolts to 18 ft. lbs. (25 Nm).
    Crankshaft oil deflector

NEW O-ring seal onto the oil pump screen

3. Align the oil pump screen mounting brackets with the correct crankshaft bearing cap studs.
  4. Install or connect the following:

Oil pump screen
    Oil pump screen bolt and the deflector nuts. Tighten the bolt to 106 inch lbs. (12 Nm) and the nuts to 18 ft. lbs. (25 Nm).
    Oil pan
    Engine front cover

Click image to see an enlarged view

Fig. Exploded view of the oil pump mounting-4.8L, 5.3L and 6.0L engines

Please note that if you have a subscription plan, you still need to click the accept button so expert is credited for their time, but you are NOT charged again. Also note that poor accept rates lead to experts ignoring any future questions as they know that they will not be paid for their services by the customer

Edited by eric on 12/26/2010 at 3:52 PM EST
Eric, Automotive Repair Shop Manager
Experience: 20+ yrs. experience as repair shop manager and technician.