Gary, Chevy Technician
Experience:  15 years GM master tech

1999 Chevy Venture: cranks..its very sluggish..battery cables

1999 Chevy Venture starter cranks sometimes. When it does, it's very sluggish. Battery and battery cables were just replaced. Didn't do any good.
new battery and both new complete power and ground battery cables where changed?and it made NO difference at all?when the starter will not crank will it just click?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

It cranks sometimes, but very weak. I just put a new battery and cables in yesterday, checked the voltage with the motor running, it reads 14v. I also tried to jump it with another car. Didn't seem to make any difference.

ok.since the battery and both cables are new and even with a jump start it didn't make a difference we are down to 2 possibilities 1)the start its self is bad 2) there is excessive resistance causing the starter to be asked to turn over an engine that is binding up.due to either an accessory on the engine( alt.water pump ect..) or the possibility of internal engine problem

remove the drive belt and see how it cranks over.if it still cranks slow double check the connections from the battery to the starter.if those are good replace the starter.if it still does this then something inside the engine is binding up and causing this a possible bearing or cam shaft problem

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The engine seems to run fine once it's started. The van has only 70000 mi on it. BUT, the van is 11 years old and my wife starts it up at least 2x per day. Could the starter just be worn out?
yes it could be.remove the drive belt and try it.if it still does it more than likely is the starter if it will run good when it will start
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Where is the drive belt located? Is that the sepantine belt that runs the alternator?
yes it is.i just want to be sure before you buy a starter
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Can I just take the tension off the belt and try it?

sure.or just pop it off.we just want to confirm nothing is binding up on the front of the engine.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
OK. I want to rule out the ignition switch also. Is there a way to test it?
yes check the little wire right next to the big positive battery cable on the starter have some one crank it with that small wire unhooked and see if you have 12 volts there.if you do then the ignition switch good