Chevy expert
Chevy expert, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  30 yrs experience ase cetified tech shop owner
22989858

2003 chevy s10 4x4: i push the 4lo button the 4 wheel drive engages

I have a 2003 Chev S10 4x4 pickup. When I push the 4HI button, nothing happens. When i push the 4LO button theXXXXXengages. Any idea's?

Welcome to just answer.com. I'm here to help you and your 100% satisfaction is my goal.

Most often this is caused by either faulty switch or encoder motor on the transfer case itself Check for trouble code 2. Jumper pins 4 and 13 at the Data Link Connector Count flashes of the Four Wheel Drive 4WD shift indicator Light Emitting Diode LED's. Look for a code 2 that would indicate an encoder circuit failure. Clear the code, remove B+ from the Transfer Case Control Module TCCM for 1 minute, pull the CTSY fuse. Test encoder switch voltages at pins D4, D5, D6 and D7 of the TCCM. Should have 0, 0, 5, 5 volts in order when in 4LO. Should have 0, 5, 0, 0 volts in order when in 2HI.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I'm the type that knows how to check the oil. I can check what you mentioned but I'm afraid its a bit technical for me. can you walk me through it in simple terms?

thanks

Let's start with something a little simpler using a scan tool checked to see what trouble codes are being stored in the memory of the PCM if you do not own a scan tool go down to the auto zone parts store and have them read the codes for you
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I live out in the country and the nearest auto zone is about 45 miles away. Any other possible idea's?

Well if you wanna to just try something you could replace the motor on the transfer caseThat is the most commonCause but it may be worth theXXXXXto checked the codes first
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Is it difficult to replace the transfer case motor? Seems they're cheap enough on Ebay.
This is not a difficult job will take you approximately 45 minutes or an hour to replace